Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hiring an attorney at the Board

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

Im speaking with an attorney I plan on hiring next week.  Im considering asking him about the possibilities of a "BVA" (partial or total) award.  

This is how I see it.  I personally filed my own I 9, as well as the NOD(s), and I dont mind paying the attorney "something" if I get awarded at the board, as he has already done some work on it.  But not the full 20% for mostly my own efforts.   

So, Im thinking of negotiating something like this:

For the retro I win at the BVA level, since I did most of the work, I think 20% is extravigant, and I would be willing to pay him an hourly for the hours he actually contributed.  I think he proably has 5 hours in it, if its 200 per hour that's 1000 and I think that is fair.   

However, if we move to CAVC (most likely) then 20% is fair as he did most of the CAVC related work.

But, for applicable retro I get from the BVA, due mostly to my own efforts, I am very reluctant to pay him 20%.  

I think an hourly would be more reasonable if I win at the BVA through mostly my own efforts.  Thoughts?  

Broncovet,

ALL attorney fees and payments are negotiable. You just need to make sure that:

1) the agreement is in writing;

2) the agreement is made in good faith;

3) the agreement is signed by both parties;

4) YES it CAN be notarized (and should be), but does NOT need to be, to make it legal. However if you wish to record the agreement at your County Recorder’s Office, then it does need to be notarized. (I am not an attorney so I am not giving you legal advice, but for years I know and have worked with many attorneys and I am a former Notary).

A suggestion would be to use that attorney’s Standard Retainer Agreement paperwork and make changes agreeable to both parties. Make sure you both know “WHO DOES WHAT FOR HOW MUCH”.

OSC

OSC have you ever negotiate any attorney fees???? or even hired an attorney he first

got to find one to represent him that's the first problem.

Second problem you don't set an attorney fee most tell you to kiss their ass on your fees,

why you need attorney if you know the fees  get real it ant easy

Edited by RUREADY

a vet needs help from an attorney & attorneys only get paid if he or she wins

your claim so why do you think an attorney would accept your claim on your

beliefs and payment agreement never heard this  I WILL PAY YOU FOR YOUR HOURS

and not your expertise on my claim I already have it figure out just sign. Are you crazy or am I