VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question

I was proposed to be incompetent, so I presented all the evidence possible to convince the V.A. that although my injuries are extensive; I am competent.

I waited for about 1 1/2 years for the V.A. to decide that I am in fact able to handle may own affairs and rate me "competent". According to the letter I am rated as competent and I shall continue to receive my full payment. However, I have not received any back payment or retroactive payment. When I called the Hot Line they told me that it will take between 10-45days to process. It is now 97days later and I still have not seen any action taken by the V.A.. As I continue to call them, they state that I do rate a large sum for my retroactive pay but, no one knows who to contact. I am at a loss.

I don't know who to contact to get this moving or why it is taking them so long. Does anyone have experience with this.....?   I really just want to pay the bills that stacked up while I could not work and had no way of paying..... I am not trying to build a savings account. Please anyone advise.

If you dont pick a fiduciary, the VA picks one for you, BUT, you certainly should have received a letter.  Here may be the way to find out:

Check your ebenefits account, and "payments".  YOu probably will need a premium ebenefits account to do this.  

I checked the E-benefits but it only shows the monthly payments.... There is nothing in regards to the retro pay.....

I am thinking that I will call and bother them again tonight.... maybe they will have some kind of answer for me....

"I think it is kind of funny that they were trying to propose me as incompetent based on the answer to one question and the whole time I was just wishing there was really someone "competent" at the V.A whom could or would be willing to help me... But that may be too much to ask."

LOL and you are RIGHT!

Yeah this is a trick question in my opinion.....wives of vets  have, in most cases always handled the money end of the marriage.And in civilian marriages too.

They have used this bull crap time and time again against veterans, as one more way to stave off paying them their rightful benefits.

In some cases it is in the best interest of the veteran to have a fiduciary but those situations are really few and far between.

On ebenefits, Check the "payments" not just for this month, but for each month the past year or two, since it shows a history.    Does it still show it was paid a year ago?  If so, then your money likely went to a fiduciary, and you never saw it.  

I checked every month back to 2011, and all the monthly payments are there for the entire time. But there is nothing on the Retro... It also showed the add of dependents but no retro from that.... However it did show my Post 9/11 money for school.

If they did give it to a fiduciary without contacting me, how can I find out? and how do I get it back...?

If I were you I would file a complaint through the OIG. You have a large amount of money due you that is unaccounted for. Here's the OIG website: http://www.va.gov/oig/  Click on the hotline button. Explain that the money is missing and that the VA has told you that they do not know who to contact. Also state that you have no other avenue of redress, since nobody at the VA is responding to you.