VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA IS TAKING BACK MY DIC BENEFITS?

NeedHelp91

Question

Hello all,

I am very upset and posting for ANY AND ALL ADVICE. I received a phone call moments ago from someone who could only give a first name of "Greg" at the Milwaukee VA.  He stated that I had been paid benefits "but I was not entitled to these benefits." These benefits were direct deposited into my bank account and had already cleared as being "available."  

I was granted retroactive DIC benefits for the 10 years since my husband passed.   I am also owed burial benefits. I have never received an accounting of the benefits. And I was unaware a deposit had even been made into my bank account until receiving this call. However, now, that they have made a deposit, HOW IS VA ALLOWED TO GO BACK INTO MY BANK ACCOUNT AND TAKE THEM BACK?

After a quick google of the situation, even if these benefits "were in error" (which I do not believe, but let's pretend) they would have been issued 100% in VA Administrative error as I have been truthful with them from the start.  And it appears from everything online in past cases that if it was 100% VA administrative error, they could NOT take these benefits back? because it would not be a valid debt....

PLEASE ANY AND ALL HELP WOULD BE MUCH APPRECIATED.  I DO NOT UNDERSTAND HOW I CAN FINALLY BE GIVEN BENEFITS AND THEN THEY CAN BE TAKEN AWAY...

• HadIt.com Elder

I drill my wife on the fact that no matter what the VA may tell her she is entitled to DIC based on one or more factors:  First, I have been P&T for over ten years:  Second, I will most likely die from SC condition.  She is also entitled to extra money because we were married at least 8 years before my death if it happens.  I can surely imagine some VA idiot telling my wife she is not entitled to DIC because I was not KIA or some such nonsense.