Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

msattler

Rate this question

msattler

Question

2 answers to this question

Great question!  Here is what I recommend.  

1.  Go to your C and P, answer questions honestly but DO tell your doc your "worst day" not necessarily the day you are there.  Example: 

You are applying for PTSD.  On thursday, you got arrested for beating up your wife and threatenting suicide.  You go to the C and P examiner, and you feel pretty good on the day of the exam.   Dont tell him you are fine!  Tell him what happened on Thursday!  He will write down you are fine with no symptoms if that is what you tell him!

2.  Its ok to ask your examiner about his experience and training in (what you are going to him for a C and P for) , and ask him if he has experience (in your malady).  Remember this, or, better yet, write down what he says.  

3.  Be polite answer the questions and complete the exam.  Review it at your earliest convience.  READ IT, dont take the examiners word.

4.  If this exam is favorable, do nothing but wait for your benefits. 

5.  However, if this urologist says, "Its less likely than not this scar was caused by your gunshot wound in VN".  Then challenge the examiner, in your appeal, or you can even do it sooner.  You dont want to be challenging a favorable exam, you only challenge unfavorable ones.  Lay persons opinions do not trump medical opinions, but you can challenge that a urologist is evaluating you for PTSD, and he has no experience or training in your condition.  The VA will almost always have to give you a new exam, but dont do that if this doc gives you a favorable opinion.  The VEteran has to challenge the credentials of the examiner or they are presumed competent, even if it was the janitor who examined you.  

Edited by broncovet

Thanks, I will Take your advice, Tramatic hand Arthritis I believe should be examened by a person in that professon to get a true exam, I was seen by a private phy, assistant a month ago and she filled out a DBQ for the condition, I will bring these documents to the C&P and present them to him if he wants to review them.