Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I need help

Rate this question

13BravoVet

Question

I am at the end of my rope. I sent the following to allison hickey and ron reynolds in an email. I do not know if they will respond or not. I was hoping someone here could offer some advice as to what to do next. I tried over at VBN and those people just hijacked the thread, poked fun at me, and defended the va's position. I'm new here and in serious need of help. Thanks in advance for reading this. It is pretty long.

General Hickey,

I am writing you because I do not know where else to turn at this point. I am a veteran, husband, and father to two children. I do not know how to navigate the VA system and no one will answer any of my questions so I am hoping to find a sympathetic ear in you. Lord knows, I haven't found one anywhere else.

I tried to kill myself in the Army after being told that I had an inoperable brain tumor. I was having panic attacks daily and couldn't cope with the thought of wasting away in my early twenties. As a result, I was locked in Womack Army Hospital for a little over two weeks and told they would never let me out of the psych ward until I signed chapter 5-13 (personality disorder) discharge papers. I was officially diagnosed with "adjustment disorder with mixed disturbance of mood and behavior with major depression and attempted suicide" and shown the door.

Good news is I don't have a tumor. Apparently no one at Ft. Sill or Ft. Bragg can read CT scans.

I still suffer from frequent severe anxiety attacks to this day. I have been treated for this condition a million times since leaving the Army so I filed for disability with the VA. I saw a psychiatrist for a compensation and pension exam and he asked if I drink so I told him the truth. I said “5 or 6 beers a week. It's not like I'm drinking a 12 pack every day.”
My statement of case comes in the mail and says "alcohol abuse disorder claimed as anxiety condition. Willful misconduct". The c&p psychiatrist stated on the dbq that I drink five or six 12 packs a week. He also said I scored 75% on the CAGE scale which is false because I responded in the negative to all four of those questions. He said I told him I am diabetic which I did not. I told him my wife is diabetic. He said I told him that a fake suicide attempt was “my ticket out of the Army”. I made no such comment. He found that statement in my STR and I never said that to the Army psychiatrist at Womack either for that matter! He said I told him that I told him I was ordered to undergo treatment with Substance Abuse Rehabilitation Services at Ft. Bragg which is not true either. He stated he could not find any record of this in my personnel or treatment record. The reason for that is because, as I told him, I requested an appointment with them because I was denied the opportunity to speak with a therapist and I knew I could see one there. She evaluated me and said I was ineligible for treatment since I was NOT an alcoholic or addicted to drugs. He said I told him that I thought my work was “beneath me”. I never said anything close to that. I enjoyed my job and had a good working relationship with my fellow soldiers.

I told him that all of my problems in the Army stemmed from the misdiagnosis of a terminal brain tumor and my chain of command didn't want to deal with my issues. This is just a short list of discrepancies I found in his assessment.

He admitted that he did not take proper notes and used a speech recognition program on his computer to compile notes that he later edited. Am I to assume that his software is faulty or that this many mistakes are not intentional?

It gets better than that though. I see a presumed condition of "adjustment disorder with mixed disturbance of mood and behavior with major depression and attempted suicide. 38 USC 1702 SC for treatment only."
How do you like that? The exact condition I get discharged for is now presumed to have occurred within 2 years of leaving active duty.

I'm service connected for my blown out knee at 0% and I am having a joint reconstruction surgery next week while the notice of disagreement I filed 10 months ago is collecting dust.
I still experience blinding migraines which I was treated for my whole time in service after a hard blow to the head from a howitzer cannon and was denied service connection for that. They granted tinnitus at 10% due to the constant incessant ringing in my ears.

The Nashville VA Regional Office is a joke. These people just change established diagnosis to suit their needs. When that wont work, they claim to have no record of in service treatment.
I filed the notice of disagreement for my knee and they sent me back to the same Nurse Practitioner who didn't even bother to examine it the first time.

She stated on the dbq that I had full range of motion, did not need assistive devices, and had no major joint dysfunction in spite of the fact that I have a hinged knee brace, ankle brace, walk with a cane, and have been prescribed crutches.

On top of that, she never got up from her desk, asked me to remove my pants, or so much as looked at my knee. I sent them a mountain of exam notes, x-rays, and mri's from two actual Orthopedic Surgeons but the NP must be more qualified than any civilian surgeon could ever hope to be.

The Army withheld all of my accrued leave and my last three pay checks. I never saw a dime of the money that was owed upon release from active duty. I was not allowed to use the Montgomery GI Bill that I contributed to during my first 12 months of active duty either. They even charged me for equipment that my chain of command said I was never issued in the first place.

I filed an appeal with the Army Review Board a few years ago and was denied a hearing. They told me that my discharge was correct.

I can't work due to the physical and mental limitations I deal with daily. I have osteoarthritis in almost every joint, migraines, panic attacks, and severe depression.. I will be completely out of commission for about 6 months after the knee surgery according to the orthopedic doctors.

This has to be a case of clear and unmistakable error because if I was treated in the Army for conditions I developed in the Army, was discharged for one of those conditions, and still require treatment for them now, how can they later be presumed? Or denied? Or rated at 0% without so much as an examination? The Nashville VARO intentionally and maliciously developed to deny in every instance of my claim. That has got to be illegal.

So what do I do?

I just left the Nashville VARO for an appointment with Vocational Rehabilitation where they closed my case. I'm not rated high enough for them to make a decision at this time. Even if I was, since I am having surgery and will need physical therapy, I'm not stable enough to qualify as I was told today.
They could have told me that on the phone so I wouldn't have to travel an hour in each direction on the interstate which does wonders for my anxiety. They could have at least told me there was no parking that doesn't cost $14 . I parked in a church parking lot 3 blocks away and begged them not to tow my car because I have no money to pay for parking. I showed up in the Voc Rehab office dripping sweat from hobbling that far to get there. The icing on that cake is that I applied in August and never got so much as a letter from them. They called me yesterday and asked me to come in today. 

I have no clue what to do at this point and to put it quite frankly, I'm exhausted from being constantly screwed.

I hope to hear from you but understand the demands of your position.

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading this and have a great day,

Sorry to hear of your issues bud, Good luck, Keep us posted and God Bless

100% PTSD

100% Back

60% Bladder Issues

50% Migraines 
30% Crohn's Disease

30% R Shoulder

20% Radiculopathy, Left lower    10% Radiculopathy, Right lower 
10% L Knee  10% R Knee Surgery 2005&2007
10% Asthma
10% Tinnitus
10% Damage of Cranial Nerve II

10% Scars

SMC S

SMC K

OEF/OIF VET     100% VA P&T, Post 911 Caregiver, SSDI

Sorry that you are going through this.  If you are not working, you can file for SSDI (Social Security Disability Insurance). Once you have your knee surgery you can file for an increase and 100% convalescent rating(which will pay you the 100% rate while you recover).  You need to go to the RO and get a look at what is in your C-File.  You also need a good medical opinion that the conditions you claim are definitely military related.

• HadIt.com Elder

You need to get a good private VA Attorney &  or Medical Doc to give you an IME and state there professional  medical opinion and read all your str's all medical records MRI'S and x-rays all your past medical  to rebut the Dr's and RO's that are unfair to you.

sounds like you been ''numbered''with the VA ..> It can be countered against.

Dr Bash  and Bob Walsh  is recommended 

.......JMO

.................Buck

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

You came to the right place,  there are Vets and lawyers on here that can and will point you in the right direction and guide you down that path.  I know, because with out them I wouldn't be here anymore, myself.

Semper Fi.

Andyman73

I actually got a response from Ted Ebert who promised he would look into my claim and fix anything that went ary. So far, I have been scheduled for another mental health evaluation at a different va facility and the ro has made a bunch of requests for medical opinions I suppose. I have been sitting stagnant for 14 years so this is a shock to me. I saw 2 contentions disappear from my most recent claim and have no idea what that might mean but at this point just seeing things move is better than the constant waiting.

Just found out I was presumed SC for treatment for gulf war syndrome too although I'm not sure what that means either. I got an appointment at a primary care doctor too. Never even been to anything but a c&p before. They even sent me a choice card this week too. 

I'm wondering if I didn't just fall through the cracks and it took this long for someone to notice and blow the dust off. I'm hopeful but hope is dangerous.

Sounds like your letter is paying off.

Gratz on that.  Remember, the only reason you get knocked down is so that you can get back up.  You only stay down if you want to be there.

keep on fighting the good fight bro...it gets better