VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Can Someone Advise Me of All Disability Compensations that I Can Apply For?

Rate this question

HMan

Question

I am aware of Title 2 SS, but I am fed up with waiting for the V.A. to grant my Cue Claim and jobs not wanting to hire me. I was trying to work, but why go through all of this hassle if I have all of these disabilities and can receive compensation for them. I am just unsure of whats out there that pays monthly whether it's V.A. or the civilian sector. I am already rated at 60% with the V.A., which I should be 100%. Thanks in advance for any advice given by all.

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Just be sure you don't get VA claims mixed up with non VA disability claims like Worker's Compensation or SSDI.  Are all your disabilities related to service connected military claims?  I will give you a for instance: I had a VA disability that was aggravated by my work for Postal Service and I also had non VA injuries that were job related only.  You want to keep these things straight and don't let there be overlap.  What will happen is the VA will end up saying the reason you can't work is due to work-related injury and worker's compensation will say your inability to work is due to just you VA disabilities.  With SSDI it does not matter why you can't work, but  VA will often want a copy of your SSDI decision and paperwork.  If you are trying to get TDIU or 100% from the VA it must be solely due to SC reasons. You don't want to give VA ammunition to shoot down your SC claim for increase.  During my attempts to get all the disability I was entitled to get I applied for disability retirement, worker's compensation, SSDI and to my private disability insurance policy.  I got all these things but some impact your ability to collect from all at the same time.  Workers compensation is usually the worst because if you were to get WC and TDIU for the same injury or illness you would not be able to collect both at the same time.   Also, with my disability retirement from federal government I could not collect WC and disability pension at the same time for total disability.  Just try and keep things distinct and don't let them overlap or it usually causes problems down the line.

The crazy one here,

You are your best advocate, you are the only one that lives with you 24/7 and know what you are going through.  You can check 38 CFR part 4 but without knowing your condition it would be speculative on anyone part except yours.  How do you feel?  What physically bothers you on a regular basis? What condition(s) limit you from doing things/work?  What keeps you going back to see a doctor? Any service connected disability can cause you to have a secondary disability but that would have to be connected by a doctor and he/she would have to give a medical rationale along with his/her medical opinion.  I am not trying to be a downer but you should know better than anybody.  Always remember you should be seeking treatment and that should help you know if that condition is related to your military service or secondary to an already service connected condition.

Just be sure you don't get VA claims mixed up with non VA disability claims like Worker's Compensation or SSDI.  Are all your disabilities related to service connected military claims?  I will give you a for instance: I had a VA disability that was aggravated by my work for Postal Service and I also had non VA injuries that were job related only.  You want to keep these things straight and don't let there be overlap.  What will happen is the VA will end up saying the reason you can't work is due to work-related injury and worker's compensation will say your inability to work is due to just you VA disabilities.  With SSDI it does not matter why you can't work, but  VA will often want a copy of your SSDI decision and paperwork.  If you are trying to get TDIU or 100% from the VA it must be solely due to SC reasons. You don't want to give VA ammunition to shoot down your SC claim for increase.  During my attempts to get all the disability I was entitled to get I applied for disability retirement, worker's compensation, SSDI and to my private disability insurance policy.  I got all these things but some impact your ability to collect from all at the same time.  Workers compensation is usually the worst because if you were to get WC and TDIU for the same injury or illness you would not be able to collect both at the same time.   Also, with my disability retirement from federal government I could not collect WC and disability pension at the same time for total disability.  Just try and keep things distinct and don't let them overlap or it usually causes problems down the line.

Thank you guys. Does TDIU place me in a category where I cannot earn any other income?

The crazy one here,

First things first, if you are drawing SSDI you cannot work.  Now about TDIU, according to the regulation you can work and draw TDIU but you risk VA doing a re-evaluation and losing your TDIU back to your combined rating. Keep in mind that VA/SSA and the IRS work together and working and drawing TDIU alone could cause problems because after you work for so long VA can say that your conditions improved and re-evaluate your ratings.  Some will say as long as you make below the SSA SGA (substantial gainful activity) you can legally but IMHO any type of income could cause a re-evaluation.