Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

No More Reasons and Bases

Rate this question

pacmanx1

Question

Ok, I started a new thread to hopefully get more responses.  I have noticed that a lot of us are telling veterans to make sure they read over their reasons and bases section when they get their rating decision but I have notice over the last year that VA no longer use this term when breaking down how they (VA) made their decision.  The new term is simply "Explanation" and the explanation is so vague I do not see how  a veteran can fully understand what VA did.  Actually over the last few years the term went from Reasons and Bases to Reasons of Decision to simply Explanation.  So I think it is best to tell veterans to check their explanation section and hopefully they will understand what VA did and how they made their decision.  Yes, the Evidence Considered is still there but like I said  the explanation is so short and vague it is hard to understand.  So has anyone else seen this or is it just me?

My intentions are to help, my advice maybe wrong, be your own advocate and know what is in your C-File and the 38 CFR that governs your disabilities and conditions.

Do your own homework. No one knows the veteran’s symptoms like the veteran. Never Give Up.

I do not give my consent for anyone to view my personal VA records.

Bronco, you bet your hat that a veteran better file a timely NOD, a timely form 9 and any other response he/she has to continue their appellate rights. Also the real bad part is that so many ( VA employees) hands touches the veterans file that it gets so disorganize either on purpose or by ineptness that the rater and the medical examiner refuse to review the veterans entire C-File.  Even when the veterans file CUE claims the VA will find something in the veterans claim to support their opinion to continue to deny the veterans claim.

I received my decision letter today.  It is an 'explanation'.  I did, however, find the explanation adequate and will help any CUE or NOD I have going forward.  Hope this helps.  My random opinion is that a lot of it depends on the rater.