Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Nam Vet with Crohn's Disease

Rate this question

Andyman73

Question

Hello, it's me.  I need some help here with this.  One of my co-workers is a Vietnam Veteran, was a .50 cal gunner on a 50ft patrol boat.  He spent most of his time in the Delta region.  He developed Crohn's Disease while on AD.  He ended up being Med retired as an E-4 in 1973.  We had talked off and on over the past few years, and I knew this, and that he had spent some time in the squared circle with the VA.  As is typical of most Nam Vets, he really didn't want to much to do with the VA.

When he did inquire as to what he might get for the Crohn's, they told him 10-15%, 40 years ago.  He also filed for tinnitus and hearing loss, both denied.  But sometime many hears later the VA gave him hearing aids for both ears.  He said one of his boat mates pulled the trigger on his .50s when he was laying on the deck with his head right below the muzzles, as a joke.  Told me that he felt the concussive blasts squeeze his head and felt his ears nearly rupture.

He told me that the VA had wanted to operate on him for his illness, but he was loathe to let them attempt to "heal"(kill) him.  He had 2 surgeries in the years since, one was to fix lesions that formed on his bladder due to the Crohn's.  His other was to remove intestine.  He told me that he only has 2-3 feet of his small one left.

He said, when asked, that his retirement is only about $400 and change.  I told him that he needs to come at the VA with both barrels of his twin .50 blazing, since his rating should give him many times more than the retirement amount.

That being said, I told him I would ask on here for guidance and gather some info to share with him.  So he can make a solid decision regarding this.  I looked on the rating chart, but could not locate Crohn's disease on it.

This is my first honest attempt at helping another Vet get what they deserve. 

Asknod, I know you have insider knowledge with Crohn's, since you are a card carrying member of that special club.  This old Vet was tearing up as I was telling him that he has a brighter future ahead of him as his retirement date looms. 

Thank you to all who chime in with guidance.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

He should also look at filing to have his hearing loss and tinnitus reopened.

Has he ever had the AO exam at the VA? If not get him in there quick as you can too!

I am always surprised when I find vets from Vietnam that have not filed for AO mainly because they don't want to deal with the VA. That is exactly what the VA wants! Please tell him he earned the rights for his benefits by serving his country and get him in the loop!

Thank him for his service and tell him for me please "Welcome Home"!

Stillhere 

Yes,  I told him that he needs to refile for the hearing and tinnitus, they should be SC for sure.  Not sure on the AO, will tell him this morning as soon as I see him.

Will tell him thanks from you and welcome home, too.

Vietnam vets should probably contact NVLSP to see if they are eligible as a Nehmer Class Vet.  Nehmer Vets can be repped by NVLSP at no cost to Veteran. 

Yes, will tell him.  Excuse my ignorance, what is NVLSP?

Thanks to both of you.

Semper Fi.

Andyman

Andyman

NVLSP is the National Veterans Legal Service Program.  Its a non profit organization to assist Vets in legal matters related to Veteran claims.      

http://www.nvlsp.org/

NVLSP serves Vets in about 3 main ways:

1.  Their attorney's will represent Veterans at the CAVC for free if certain criteria are met.  The first one is you have to have a recent BVA denial (within about 120 days, but do it asap after you get a Board denial).  They also have to identify a "position of merit".  They also do "class action" suits such as Nehmer, and provide legal council for Nehmer class Vets (some of which still have not been identified).  Apparently, NVLSP attorneys have won at least 50 million dollars for Veterans, just in Nehmer claims.  

2.  They train VSO's and new Attorneys who represent Veterans.

3. The Attorney's Author the famous "Veterans Benefit Manual", which is the "go to guide" for attorney's who represent Veterans, very smart Pro Se Claimants, and one or Two VSO's.  The VBM has over 50 pages of information just on effective dates, and 100% of the VBM's "opinions" are supported by case law, OGC precedents, Regulations, etc.  They boast a 90 percent "win" or "remand" rate when they represent Veterans at the CAVC.  The VBM has such a high credibility, some Vets attorney's will cite VBM in support of their clients appeal.  The VA, too, knows that the VBM is highly credible, and I have never seen the VA argue that VBM's position was contrary to law.   

NVLSP operates largely on EAJA funds, and profits from selling VBM.  They also take donations.  

Edited by broncovet