Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Dirty Dozen; 12 common ways to sabatoge your claim

Rate this question

broncovet

Question

I am compling a list of the worst mistakes Vets make sabatoging their own claim.  Feel free to add more:

1.  Filing too late, or not at all.  Today is better than tommorrow.

2.  Not timely filing a NOD/I9/Notice of Appeal.    You need to understand most Vets claims are denied on the first round and most VEts have to appeal to get their benefits.  

3.  Not keeping a copy of any documents you send to VA. 

4.  Not sending your documents to VA certified mail, return receipt requested.  

5.  Not ordering a copy of your cfile.  

6.  Failing to send VA required information and applicable forms.  

7.  Abandonding your claim.  This means you have to "continiously prosecute" your claim.  VA loves to forget you.  Dont let em get away with it.  Send em an IRIS email, for example, "Please give status of xx claim filed on 08-24-2004." 

8.  Not having a nexus or a diagnosis.  

9.  Lying, or exaggerating your symptoms.  One small lie can mean one big denial.  Dont guess the date, look it up.  The VA will delay your claim for 3 years, then ask you the date, again.  If you guess again, and its different than your first guess, its lights out for your claim.

10. Not showing up for a C and P exam.  

11.  Moving and not telling VA your new address.  

12. Ignoring a proposal to reduce your benefits.  

Edited by broncovet

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

When you go for a c&p exam be aware you may be under observation from the time you drive up to the exam until you leave the area.   That includes the waiting room and any place inside the c&p location.  I had something like that pulled on me.  Be aware anything you say at any VA contact  may be documented and used against you later.

This is true. I park in a university parking deck across the street instead of taking the VA jalopy van to their free parking deck on the other side of town. You would not believe how many VAMC doctors also park in the deck. I rode the elevator with one of my doctors a while and I asked why they park there. They said it is convenient because they spend their day working at the VA and the evening teaching at the university.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

This is true. I park in a university parking deck across the street instead of taking the VA jalopy van to their free parking deck on the other side of town. You would not believe how many VAMC doctors also park in the deck. I rode the elevator with one of my doctors a while and I asked why they park there. They said it is convenient because they spend their day working at the VA and the evening teaching at the university.

Yeah, my better half works at the University Health Science Center just across the street from the VA Hospital There is even an elevated skyway/walkway between the two, so it does not interfere with the ambulances coming to the VA-ER.  She has been there 29yr as an immunologist researcher.  She knows several MD types who have/are working at the VA and doing exactly as you say.