Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Attorney responsibilities

Rate this question

rwskitch

Question

Is one's Attorney required to submit all the evidence, e.g. SR's & SMR's that a client submits to the atty. as evidence, required to enter the data into the VBMS system for the veterans future claim review...? 

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
16 hours ago, rwskitch said:

Is one's Attorney required to submit all the evidence, e.g. SR's & SMR's that a client submits to the atty. as evidence, required to enter the data into the VBMS system for the veterans future claim review...? 

i never had an attorney for VA claims, but I assume they would know what they are doing. When I submitted my claims, I did not simply dump all my medical records on the VA and ask them to figure it out. I sifted through my files and only provided evidence directly related to my claims. If you have a knee claim, the VA does not need to see medical records for a cold. Also, you know how sometimes a doctor will treat you and then tell you to follow up in a week, and when you went to the follow up appointment it showed improvement? Well, I personally don't see any benefit of sending in records like that because the VA will probably use those against you.

I didn't want the rater to look at my claim submission and say "oh crap, there goes my entire day". I wanted them to say "hey, this veteran saved me a lot of work" and focus on the merits of my claim.

I don't know if the attorney's actually enter information into the VBMS system. I am pretty sure that someone else here will be able to help answer your question.

To my knowledge the access given to attorneys  via VBMS is limited as they cannot print documents off that access. It is read only access which I don't understand,  I rather disagree as most PC and Mac's have a print screen option, however, that is besides the point.

The more you can narrow a records search the easier the claim can be to process and decide.  I agree with you Vync.

I

• HadIt.com Elder
12 minutes ago, ArNG11 said:

To my knowledge the access given to attorneys  via VBMS is limited as they cannot print documents off that access. It is read only access which I don't understand,  I rather disagree as most PC and Mac's have a print screen option, however, that is besides the point.

The more you can narrow a records search the easier the claim can be to process and decide.  I agree with you Vync.

I

The printing problem can actually exist. It partially depends on the software used to "see" VBMS info.

Even thought the print screen option is a basic part of windows, it can be made unavailable, and the information it might contain can be blocked.

If that isn't bad enough, the print screen option in conjunction with an application to grab the information usually results in a graphics rendition of the display screen. This can be problematic when what is really optimum is a document format file that can be easily extracted from.   When this happens, I have used various programs, such as publisher, to merge/insert the graphics into a document. There are a lot of programs out there that have the capability to do such a thing.

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder
30 minutes ago, Chuck75 said:

The printing problem can actually exist. It partially depends on the software used to "see" VBMS info.

Even thought the print screen option is a basic part of windows, it can be made unavailable, and the information it might contain can be blocked.

If that isn't bad enough, the print screen option in conjunction with an application to grab the information usually results in a graphics rendition of the display screen. This can be problematic when what is really optimum is a document format file that can be easily extracted from.   When this happens, I have used various programs, such as publisher, to merge/insert the graphics into a document. There are a lot of programs out there that have the capability to do such a thing.

Windows 7, 8, and 10 all come with the "snipping tool" built in. It allows you to draw a box around an object on a screen and take a screenshot. However, a third party program called SnagIt is actually my favorite. It's pretty awesome. However, these tools require some degree of manual effort. If your VBMS entry is really long, the attorney or their staff might not have time to go through it all.

22 hours ago, rwskitch said:

If it is favorable evidence I don't see why the attorney would hold on to it, however, I would just send an email or call your attorney if you have any questions as to the reasons why.  Clear communications between you and your attorney is the best thing I can suggest.