Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Picking a representative

Rate this question

ericjmages

Question

Any advice on selecting a rep? I have claims that are 5 yrs old and have been using the DAV. They just told me I can't have claims expedited unless I am homeless! I will be soon. My Senator and Congressman are trying to help. Any advice? Thanks.

6 answers to this question

You know when I did my claim years back it killed me that the rep was to busy, could see me on certain days with an appointment and so on and so forth.  I hate DAV, I have had vets ask for their claim papers (copy) and been denied so any ways I do not do DAV. .Too formal.  I am a service rep for the Marine Corps League and I take claims anytime anywhere.  I have claims all over.  Ca., NM., AZ., and do them over the computer if possible.  I am always available.  I find most service organizations have you join and then go from there.  I feel the vet comes FIRST and if he wants to join ok.  It should not be part of the we can help you bu.............Congresssional assistance is really not helpful.  I have two with them now and getting NOWHERE, probably better of going to appeal though I hate to say that...............get someone that is interested in YOU and your case and has the time to spend with you, that is all I can say.

bobbyq

• HadIt.com Elder

I'm thinking about having my DAV Rep Revoked.

My claim has been going a while now and he has not sent me anything or told me what to do, So I been doing all the work gathering evidence and sending my statement in support of claim  and most all my medical that pertains to my claim, I checked on ebenfits and they  needed some more information on my stressor's  not a word from my DAV REP matter fact I have not heard a word from him since the day I walk in his office and had him to represent me..so much for good representation huh. ..its not fair that they get 20%of retro if they don't do anything for the veteran.

so I'm thinking I don't need him..if I get denied I have enough sense to NOD and proceed with my claim. Besides they can't represent you if you go tot he CAVA /BVA

.....................Buck

Edited by Buck52

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!

2 hours ago, Buck52 said:

I'm thinking about having my DAV Rep Revoked.

My claim has been going a while now and he has not sent me anything or told me what to do, So I been doing all the work gathering evidence and sending my statement in support of claim  and most all my medical that pertains to my claim, I checked on ebenfits and they  needed some more information on my stressor's  not a word from my DAV REP matter fact I have not heard a word from him since the day I walk in his office and had him to represent me..so much for good representation huh. ..its not fair that they get 20%of retro if they don't do anything for the veteran.

so I'm thinking I don't need him..if I get denied I have enough sense to NOD and proceed with my claim. Besides they can't represent you if you go tot he CAVA /BVA

.....................Buck

They get 20%!? The DAV rep didn't tell me that! Lucky for me I only selected them but haven't filed yet! I'm glad my civilian doctor is taking his time with paperwork and the last couple appointments. 

I know on ebennies you can select one but can you drop one without selecting another one?

Buck,

where did that 20% figure come from?  I have DAV as my VSO, although it's in name only as I do most myself, and the retro I got was the full amt I expected.  I'll go back and check my math

VSO's do Not get any of your retro pay, but if you hire a "representative to help you with your claim...not a lawyer, they do get 20% of your retro. I used a rep and for me it was well worth the money.

If you go on the VA web site, they have a list of authorized reps...which is where I found mine from the Boston area and it should tell you that they won't get more than 20%. If you have a NOD and hire a lawyer they are not supposed to get more than 20% of retro either. However a lawyer may find a way to get more, but some will probably stick to the 20% plus fees if there are any.

I liked my rep and would recommend them to anyone that needs one and if the time comes again to do another claim I would use her again!! Again..to me it was well worth the money.

All the best!!

• HadIt.com Elder

Slick,

I am not sure on this about the DAV getting the 20%  I based it on the attorneys get 20% I figured the DAV Rep does too.....maybe they don't  ...My DAV seems useless   he has not did one thing for me or kept me updated, but if you win your claim I'm pretty sure they get something?

if I had known the DAV can't represent you at BVA/ CAVC..I  WOULDN'T HIRED THEM.

I am not an Attorney or VSO, any advice I provide is not to be construed as legal advice, therefore not to be held out for liable BUCK!!!