VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VA Acupunture & Essential Oils Treatment for Neuropathic Pain

Rate this topic

If you have Neuropathic foot pain, give serious consideration to the VA's relatively new Acupuncture Pain clinics and Empowering Wellness Program. I'm about 3 months into the Acupuncture and I'd have to say it really helps with the pain level, as much if not more than the Pregabalin.

I started using an Essential Oils Pain mixture, supplied by a Non VA Podiatrist, back in 03/15. Only use it at night but it really helps. Have even applied it to other painful non-neuropthy areas and found it helped with regular muscle and joint pain as well. Non-VA supplied cost, about $30.00 per mos supply. My VMC just opened the EWP center about 11/15 and I 've been having them put a mixture together that works as well, if not better than what I was getting from non-VA sources.

Semper Fi

Sweet. I'm glad you're getting some relief. Just out of curiosity, how many visits are they allowing in your neck of the woods?  What mixture did they make for you if you don't mind me asking.

Excellent.  About 30 years ago, I severly sprained my foot in a motorcycle "mishap".  My boss sent me to the Chiropractor, as he needed my help, and I was on crutches.  I reluctantly went. 

The Chiro asked me, "You are not afraid of needles are you?"   I responded, "No, I have had a lot worse."   

Next thing I know there were about 25 needles in various places on my sore foot.  I didnt really even feel them go in, they were so small, kind of like a mosquito, when you dont even know it.

A few minutes later, she came and took out the needles.  

I got up to leave, and realized I "forgot something".   What I "forgot" was my crutches, as I did not need them anymore.  Please dont tell me it was a placebo affect, because:

1.  I did not even know she was an accupuncturist, and I had no opinion whether it would work or not. 

2.  I did not "think" the pain away, I didnt think about anything, but then forgot about my former pain.  

I went to work that day, with but a very minute limp.  The next day the pain was 0, and no adverse affects.  I wasn't "sold" on the idea of acupuncture, she pretty much took my statement as my okay.  She was an accupuncture therapist/chiropractor.  

The Essential oil mixture as of 1/4 is: Sandelwood (14 ) Drops, Cypress (9), Ravinsara (5), Peppermint (8). 2oz/1% in a white carrier cream. Lasts me almost 30 days, using just at night. One Secure Msg on MHV to Empowering Wellness Clinician gets my refill waiting for pickup at my next Acupuncture treatment.

Around June 2015, I tried an Neuropathy Pain Essential oil mixture from Whole Foods. Primary ingrediant was Essential Oil Hypericum Perforatum + carrier oil, in a dropper bottle for about $30 for a months supply. I think that concoction worked as well as the Oil Mix that cost $30, from my Non VA Podiatrist was touted as his proprietary blend of 12 Essential Oils. He was always very vague when discussing the actual Oils used. Close to 8 months now, I think the VA's mix is actually superior.

How many VA Acupuncture treatments authorized?? The VA Dr, MFIC of the program, indicated to me that as long as the treatments were giving me Pain Relief, there was no exact limit. Right now I'm set up for a session every 2 weeks. Dr told me if I needed it sooner due to pain, just to go through VA Emergency Fast Track and he'd hook me up.

Had a session last Thursday, told the NP that I would be out of town for 3 wks, he told me to come back this week any day, after 2:30 and he'd work me in before I leave town. I get about 10 needles between toes of each foot, 2 in sides of feet and in the shin of each leg. In addition, I think there are about 5 or so press in pins put in one ear or the other. The ear pins fall out on there own in about a week and are actually more uncomfortable than the needles in the feet.

Semper Fi

• 2 weeks later...

Id really like to try that again. The acupuncture for me gave me some relief but the VA would only allow so many sessions.  On the private side I am allowed 10 acupuncture visits and 20 chiropractor visits. OKCVAMC would not approve that many. But I must state I was taking less pain pills when receiving those treatments. 

The points that were a little uncomfortable were the needles in the inner cartridge of the ear.  Completely bare able though.  Never had the opportunity to be treated with the oils though. 

Will definitely look into it again.

• 2 weeks later...

My doc put in a referral for accupuncture but he didnt know if they would cover it on a fee basis or if I had to go the V.A. Hospital. My closest hospital is nearly 2 hours away. Would you folks make the 4 hour round trip for accupuncture? Having never done it before i dont know if its worth the stress of that long of a drive. And does anyone know if the V.A. covers it on fee basis?