• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VNA INFO SOUNDS ODD

Rate this question

Holllie Greene

Question

Hi All, Happy Snowy (for some) Friday,

I hope everyone is careful if you are in the snow zone.  Stay safe,

I had an Occupational Therapist come to my home earlier today.  She was extremely nice and had valuable information  I can use to stay safer inside my home.  However, if one is involved with the VNA there are restrictions; one restriction is I can't have lunch with any of my friends (I am pretty sure I heard her correctly) yet if I need to see my doctor or go to the pharmacy it is ok for me to drive myself.  I have zero problems driving myself.

Now I am cursing myself (or is it cussing) myself out for seeing this new doctor at the VA clinic.  The new doctor is the one who initiated the VNA through Medicare and the new doctor signed off on a document stating I need assistance.  True.  True. True.

I also have an upcoming ophthalmologist appt and I should have kept my mouth shut because the OT wrote that down.  I informed the OT the cataract surgery is being handled by Veteran's Choice.

I also asked the OT if it is ok to go to the courthouse because I need to see the VSO and she said yes.

If anyone has any thoughts or comments I would appreciate it.

Thank you.

HG

...I researched the reasons which make a person "homebound per the VNA...hmmmm very strict AND you can't drive a car.  There is a disconnect somewhere here...the new doc at the VA put on the form I have yet to turn in to the county VSO that I need assistance.  True. My gosh it seems like either the VA doc is confused or the Medicare/VNA are confused.  Medicare, not the VA is paying for these nurses, T's, and PT's.  Thinking about my situation I believe I am A & A.  And I.ve never seen the SMC K from 2003 like the person at the CalVet org said I would receive.  why did I not pursue that SMC K way back then?  I just figured it was just more Bravo Sierra and I was having a bad time with the MS.

When this situation started, someone called me and said Medicare would pay for the VNA and when I asked why is the VA not paying, her reply was words to the effect that I paid into Medicare so why not use it?  So here I am at this juncture.

Sound about right or am I way off base?  Thanks again.  HG

Edited by Holllie Greene
more info

4 answers to this question

• Content Curator/HadIt.com Elder

HG,
It is a bit snowy here in Fort Living Room, Alabama, but not too bad.

I think the OT/VNA are primarily interested in your safety. My wife recently got her RN and had to go on some house calls with teams like that. It is a bit of a fine line between feeling you are ok vs. having a problem when you least expect it. It can be a bit of struggle losing the freedom to go whenever you want wherever you want. I think that their intention is that if you have to go somewhere, be sure it is definitely something important.

I had several surgeries over the past few years. I was unable to drive at all due to casts and bandages. We had some family stay with us and help run errands and such. When I got cabin fever, they drove me around and to appointments. I even had to use the electric scooters at department stores. People were like, you look young - did you have a sports injury? I was like, uh, yeah!

If you happen to have friends or family, consider asking them for help. Taxi service or Uber might be an option too, but are not as timely and they can't help you get around at your destination. Some folks use VSO's like the DAV to get help going to appointments.

Keep in mind that with cataract surgery, it is only a temporary and remember the light is at the end of the tunnel.

"If it's stupid but works, then it isn't stupid."
- From Murphy's Laws of Combat

Disclaimer: I am not a legal expert, so use at own risk and/or consult a qualified professional representative. Please refer to existing VA laws, regulations, and policies for the most up to date information.

Hi Vync,

I saw on the news that Alabama was getting snow.  Hopefully it won't be too bad.

Yes, I believe they folks have good intentions.

I am a "scooter vet" too---people have said (if I have chosen to tell them I have MS) "but you look so good"  meaning I don't look sick.  Which is so not the case.  I totally understand your sports injury retort!  One time (a few years ago,  I was out shopping (I always have my cane for stability) and some random person asked how I hurt myself and I told her I had a skiing accident in Gstaad Switzerland!!!  Those words just flew out!!!

Take care and stay warm at Ft. Living Room and thank you for our kind words. :)

Hollie

Read over the criteria for AA / Housebound carefully.  Nowhere in there does it say you can not leave the house AT ALL, nor does it say that you must have someone with you 24/7 for A and A.  Instead, read this:

http://asknod.org/2014/08/25/cavc-howell-v-nicholson-what-smc-s-really-says/

Hi Broncovet,

Thank you for your reply (now I will be able to sleep tonight) and thank you for the link.  Very, very, very interesting.

Despite my MS, asthma, and lower back issues I am a motivated, determined, and inquisitive person.

Thank you again, I appreciate it very much.

The Howell v Nicholson case validates my opinion that the "VA powers that be" arbitrarily pull dates out of the air (or other places) to serve their own purposes.

Stay safe and warm.

HG  :)