VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Received email from congressman's office with help for NOD!

Rate this question

Navy4life

Question

So yesterday I got an email from my local congressman's office.  He is the liaison for the military and veteran's affairs here locally.

XXXXX,

I received a copy of the email, concerning your C-file at the VA, that you sent to our Washington, D.C. office. I have attached a Privacy Release Form and a Casework Request Form. Please complete, sign and return them to me at the address below. Also include copies of VA correspondence related to the claim/appeal. Please call me at the number below so we can discuss the issue and casework.

I called him this morning and we talked about my upcoming DRO hearing.  I sent him an email as requested with the documents he needed from me.  He is trying to expedite my C-file so I can get the missing files for my hearing.  I hope this works because I have tried since 2014 to get them on my own to no avail.  It's crucial I get the medical records I am missing.  He asked if I had representation and I told him yes, a DAV rep and he said that was good to know b/c I should have someone there with me.  I asked him about the process and he told me that unlike what most think, a DRO hearing isn't really starting from scratch but rather they are looking at the same evidence presented the first time around.  If I have additional evidence to bring it.  I told him I had a letter from my VA podiatrist backing me up and I found two additional SMR's from my hard copy files.  He said bring them.  I opted for the informal hearing so I hope it's favorable.  I just have to prove to this hearing officer and connect the dots.  

I had read that a DRO review hearing was supposed to be "de novo" latin for starting from scratch http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/veterans-disability/dealing-a-dro-veterans-disability

So I hope this works! 

On 2/3/2016 at 2:02 PM, Navy4life said:

How was your DRO hearing outcome?  Did you go informal or formal?

I agree about the DAV rep being there.  He can be there and talk to me but I am going to make sure my voice is heard!

i hope your dav rep is helpful. during my first medical board, my dav rep was there but i don't remember if he said anything at my hearing. what sealed the deal for me is the four striper who testified on my behalf. when they asked him what i would be doing in 15 years if they kept me on active duty, he responded running the entire naval reserve public affairs program.

having my commanding officer testify was my dav reps brainstorm so i give him credit for that.

good luck!

Edited by iceturkee