VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Gerd, IBS, and Urinary Incontinence secondary to NSAIDS

Rate this question

flores97

Question

I am getting ready to file an FDC claim for IBS-C, Gerd, and Incontinence secondary to NSAIDS and wanted to see if anyone has any opinions or suggestions, if i might have missed anything. So here goes. I have been on a high daily dose of NSAIDS to treat my sc systemic lupus for well over seven years. About two years ago, i began having moderate gastro problems, that has worsened to the point that these conditions are almost as bad as the lupus, which leaves me bedridden about a week a month. Every time i go to urgent care for the lupus, i complained of the constipation, abdominal pain, nausea, and at times, vomiting. After about a year of these symptoms worsening, i was diagnosed with gerd(i thought i was having a heart attack twice, was admitted for severe chest pain, began vomiting/diarhea both times shortly after), and of course, IBS with constipation predominant. Around the same time frame-2 years ago, i began leaking urine frequently when sneezing, coughing, bending, etc, now i leak continuously and must wear pads. I was told by several VA Docs that the NSAIDS were more than likely responsible for the ibs and gerd. Then i was told that constipation also causes urinary incontinence. I am getting an IMO for all three conditions, from my triple board certified gastroenterologist, as well as submitting all relevant treatment records for past three years, medications side effects lists on the meds i take, some medical articles discussing how NSAIDS can cause/aggravate ibs and gerd, and more articles on how constipation can cause incontinence. I am also submitting the IMO(I will upload copy as soon as its complete), and the doctors resume/certifications. I do wear pads due to incontinence, usually go through three a day unless im bedridden, then its more like five a day. If anyone has suggestions/opinions i would really appreciate the input. I wouldnt have filed fir these conditions, but its to the point i only leave the house for med appts. I have daily abdomial pain, nausea, have trouble swallowing(especially meats), and i vomit if i eat more than small portions of food. The cramping feels like food poisoning, this is with taking omeprazole, pantoprazole?, ondasetron, and ranitidine. Thanks again

Heh Vync, I didn't say it would taste good.  Nothing ever does.

Flores;

I am 30% IBS rated and I can tell you that it sucks and I am sure you are suffering...I had numerous episodes during my AD time and my IBS is due to my laxative in take.  I destroyed my stomach b/c of my eating disorder.

As far as your situation, I have heard of a lot of Vet's that have IBS due to NSAIDS and I won't lie, it's tough up hill battle to get it S/C b/c of the NSAIDS.  I know you are smart and knowledgeable and I am sure you have your "ducks in a row" so I would say to make sure your "i" and "t" are dotted/crossed and get a good IME from your doctor.  I would also see about a colonoscopy for a check up.  My gastro doctor (outside doctor) filled out a DBQ for me.  I don't believe the VA doctor's will fill one out but if you have a good relationship with your gastro doctor or the doctor that is indicating the NSAIDs are a "direct result" of the IBS, try and get a letter from them.  As you know, I have had much success with my VA doctor's helping me out.  Especially if you have a long time of medical evidence.

I was fortunate enough to have AD records with numerous documents of IBS/Chronic Diarrhea issues as well continuos issues after I got out.  I thought I would have an uphill battle, especially since I got out in 97 and did not get S/C for anything until 2013.

Good luck!

Thanks again Vync, ArNG11, i will definitely mention those meds to my PCP. Today might have been one of the worst days ive ever had from the gerd/ibs issues, at this point if the doc told me to tie a frog to my head and dance outside under a full moon i might try it, lol.(j/k, but you get my point). Navy, thank you for your response, i do indeed have a private triple certified gastro doc who has been working on IMEs for me, hopefully they will be completed next week and i can upload them here for everyone to look over. This doctor is located in fayetteville, nc, and while hes not exactly cheap, he's more reasonable than I expected. I really appreciate everyones support, and hoping this evenig will be better than today and last night. I have been told i have a very high pain tolerance, (i had a couple of teeth pulled out by a relative with no shot when i couldnt afford the dentist), but earlier today i literally had tears running down my face in front of my mother and nine year old son. I am going to ask the doc about having a colonoscopy done because something isnt right. 

Just a quick question, has anyone ever looked over their lab reports and noticed "rare bacteria" and "rare mucus" present in urine specimens? Also, and please forgive me if I misspell, but the leukocyte esterase?-(I looked up the term and it stated infections cause these), present in my sample were at 25, beside the 25 the report said_"critical high". I had the samples taken three weeks ago, and no one has mentioned the results or mailed any antibiotics. I will just wait until the 1st and bring it up with my PCP, but these results have been almost identical in the last three samples I have given(over a three month period). Just wondering if anyone has had similar results, thanks in advance!

Thank you for the response Zoomie, I am, and just wanted to obtain the IMEs as insurance, since I was told my issues were caused by the medications. The results of the esophagus/swallowing tests were just posted to myhealthevet, and stated I have a hiatal hernia with gastroesophagal reflux disease present.