Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Does this affect my PTSD rating?

Rate this question

Blake324

Question

6 answers to this question

I believe that "self medicating" is part of symptomology, so if anything, it may bolster your claim. Others in here with more knowledge will surely give you some more information, but don't worry too much. It sounds like you were honest and gave the examiner the full picture of your condition. 

Probably, it wont affect you much.  If VA could deny every claim of every Veteran who ever had too much to drink, or took drugs,  then VA's budget could be cut 50 percent and there would likely be mucho money left over for the rest of us.  

I think someone is trying to get it so that you can not collect social security disability if you are addicted to hard drugs.  While I think that is probably a good idea, I dont see that happening any time soon.

If abuse of alcohol was involved in your "in service event" then someone at the time may have called it "willful misconduct" and your benefits can be denied.  

When I broke my leg in service, and the doctor made it a point to note that my injury was "not" willful misconduct.   I did not even ask him to do that, nor did I even understand the implications, but he made that determination.  Alex pointed out the Va can not turn around years later, and claim my injury "Was" willful misconduct.  That determination is made at the time, and a favorable determination is not subject to review by VA.  

Welcome aboard, and no I dont think that it will hinder your claim. Just make sure that in the future, you dont mention it too deep if you are seeking MH treatment thru the VA. Eventually those Docs like to blame a Vets Mental Health issues on Alcohol or some form of Addiction even though that came after the fact. Good luck and keep us posted. God Bless