Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

new ptsd claim

Rate this question

calicic

Question

hello everyone 

I just had my c and p for ptsd . I have been diagnosed by my sw and  psych doctor also with major depression and anxiety . I'm a gulf war vet so its been 25 years.

I don't think my c and p went well , my examiner was a women seem nice first we started 45 minutes late cause she wasn't notified of me checking in. We rushed through the exam and we went over the area pre post military. she had my file and had notes already taken , not to bore anyone my childhood had one even which i witness a suicide. she ask about the war i told her of three different combat related stressors and broke down with each recall. told her about nightmares , fears , not able to sleep , all the symptoms of ptsd. as soon as I started to tell her how I was feeling the past year , she said you don't have ptsd you have major depression with some symptoms of ptsd , she said its been 25 years so why is all this coming about now and pretty much every question after that each answer was thats not a symptom of ptsd but depression. and i was have the due to my father second bought of lung cancer last year. I tried to tell her i had theses feeling since after the war and she just shook her head and shoot down my answer each time , At the end she said i do have service connection but it was unclear what she meet by that , i have a form of ptsd unspecified mental issues and major depression. anyone have this happen in a exam? she read all my psych notes where i told  the all about my axis and flash backs and all the symptoms which are document with my prolong exposer therapy . 

any input would be great 

thanks 

The crazy one here. First things first, I know that this was something like an intake interview but was for a C & P examination but in the future try not to talk about your childhood issues.  A lot of people have had tragedies in their childhood and I am not trying to take anything away from you but you were accepted in the military so IMHO (IN MY HUMBLE OPINION) your childhood is off limits.  VA loves to say that a veteran's depression disorder was pre-service but when the veteran is accepted in the military their childhood should be something they have overcame.  Now that your examiner stated that you have service connection keep in mind that VA can grant a mental health disorder but it may not be PTSD.  It doesn't matter if it is PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder), MDD (Major Depressive disorder) Anxiety or a MOOD Disorder VA rates them all in the same category. 

Brother, it does not matter as long as she SC'ed you for your issue, since the rating criteria is symptom-centric. Even if she says you have issues from prior to service as long as she SC the condition which is essentially saying you had a pre-existing issue that was aggravated by your service and, therefore, ratable.  Does it really matter what they call it as long as you get the compensation justified by your symptoms?  I think you are in a good position.

When I went in for my screening I went in blind (no intel on what to expect), I'll tell you upfront, be as completely honest with yourself and the questions as you can. Don't worry about if somebody will think less of you for a certain answer or if you have certain beliefs that say you don't need to worry about issues (I made that mistake and short changed myself). Also, the shrink I saw had a little game they did with the folks they were screening (while you're in the office talking to them about some of your experiences someone will walk down the hall and slam into the door/wall to see if it screws with you- backfired on the shrink he ended up in a chokehold).

I'd also suggest having someone take you to the appointment. I was so jittery and on edge I couldn't drive for a few hours.

I know it is not funny about the choke hold, but I don't blame you, makes me wonder if those jokers will back off doing things like that. Despicable is a word that comes to mind when they try to provoke an action or reaction. 

I agree that those childhood issues are off limits.  When you joined you went through all the testing necessary and were given the A okay for duty.  Meaning you had nothing wrong with you when you went in unless it was documented.  You are considered sound and able bodied, no defects.

In my case my coding or rated issue went from Depression and Anxiety to Adjustment disorder to Major Depressive Disorder, PTSD, Anxiety, Mixed Depression with anxiety.  Don't matter what they call it, as long as it's ratable and service connected.  Oh and matches your symptoms.  Talon is right on the money. Don't worry about that part.

Thanks for the reply everyone , I was wondering since I went in for a ptsd claim that it would it would be denied cause she said it wasn't all ptsd just a few symptoms of it. She reviewed my file a day before and Im sure she already had her mind made up before my exam. I check my healthy vet for her report and let you guy know how it went. 

3 minutes ago, calicic said:

Thanks for the reply everyone , I was wondering since I went in for a ptsd claim that it would it would be denied cause she said it wasn't all ptsd just a few symptoms of it. She reviewed my file a day before and Im sure she already had her mind made up before my exam. I check my healthy vet for her report and let you guy know how it went. 

If they deny it based on that, be sure to post it here.  They have a legal obligation to look at all facets and rate the items they find related to what you claimed.  If they deny, you immediately contest the decision.