VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Chronic/ Complex PTSD Rating Information?

Rate this question

Crossfit702

Question

Does anyone know anything about the rating for "Complex PTSD" or "Chronic PTSD?"

It's what you get diagnosed with if it is thought your PTSD is due to combat as well as passed severe trauma like extensive childhood trauma and that sort of stuff. However, there seems to be no rating method for this yet. 

waccamawwild, Buck52, Tbird, thanks guys for all the info. During my C&P I found out that it was chronic PTSD, depression, general anxiety, sleep problems which were classifies as chronic, the diagnosis of adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features, anger problem. However, the C&P psychologist who was a civilian and very nice too told me that she was impressed with seeing that even after my adjustment disorder with mixed emotional features I still managed to make it through rescue swimmer school and said that I showed a great deal of resilience to push on ahead which I told her was kind of confusing. Because although I had all these mental health issues it did not mean I didn't want to achieve things and wasn't going to work hard for them. Look guys my PTSD may be quite severe and looking at a PTSD symptom chart for me and looking in the mirror are almost the same, but I still manage to do well in college. Yeah, I take Prozac, Adderall/ Dextroamphetamine, Ambient, and I have to work harder but I still manage to have a 3.9 GPA and being part of an international honor society and get letters from Columbia, Harvard, Georgetown, and many others inviting me to apply based on my academic achievements. I say this because I have noticed that it has become quite the trend to think that a veteran with PTSD equals that such a veteran should be thought as stupid, ignorant, or dumb. This may be true in some cases but not in all, and it is quite offensive to see such symptoms implicating such an idea on a PTSD symptom chart for compensation.

I was a rescue swimmer in the Navy, and regardless of the high drop-out rate or rescue swimmer school and how elite it is consider to hold such a title I do not consider myself a true warrior. I didn't have it as hard as the marines or army soldiers fighting on the ground day-in and day-out, and I'm just a pretty boy when compared to such heroes. However, based on accounts from friends who were such heroes the enemy on the ground was no joke! They are intelligent, adapt quickly, no the terrain well, and are extremely committed to their cause regardless how ridiculous we may think it is. Therefore, to fight such an enemy and live to tell about it requires decently intelligent individuals. However, for some reason the VA tends to think that any such person with PTSD is likely stupid. I don't get it. Why would anyone think PTSD makes you dumb, stupid, or ignorant? If you can fight and defeat such an intelligent enemy why would anyone consider such an individual to not have a high level of intelligence? Furthermore, if you are a VA doctor or official why would you try to screw such an individual? If him/ she fought and killed the enemy you better believe that he/ she can kill you too if you screw with him/ her. 

• Founder

CrossFit702 I have not experienced the VA thinking those with PTSD are stupid. I have had a lot of problems with the VA, but that's not one of them.

Tbird, I believe what Crossfit meant is that VA seems fond of saying to vets, oh, your going to college and doing reasonably well, well then, you cant possibly have PTSD. I do understand the reasoning if its 100% PTSD, but not for the lower levels. Just because the vet is doing well in school does not mean he/she is interacting well with others.

• Founder

flores97 i see what you are saying and yes i agree with that. i've always told my therapist i'm a round peg the va keeps trying to put in a square hole.

Ma'am, I think that's the best analogy I've heard for VA, that is an excellent description!