Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New podcast for Veterans

Rate this question

Meddac

Question

After conversation with Tbird I have been allowed the opportunity to announce my show on this forum. Thanks you again, Tbird!!

I do a weekly podcast called Vet HelpCast. I try to keep the show around a half hour long, and the shows I have received some pretty good feedback on the shows that I have done so far (6 if you count the 2 VERY short episodes :smile:).

I'm not a "radio personality" and I'm not "scripted". I do the shows based on my own experience and notes that I make for myself (because I am forgetful). The shows are a little "amateur" as I only started about a month ago. They also follow processes that some would call a perfect world.  I know the show may not address the current situation that you may be experiencing or your experience with the VA. Please remember that I am trying to educate while not being absolutely negative.

I try to offer my own bit of education with some insight along the way.

I have a website where the episodes can be accessed at vethelpcast.com. It's also available on iTunes, Stitcher, and several other "podcatchers" for mobile devices. It's also linked from Facebook and Twitter If you do use an app to listen please subscribe and leave a rating and comments. You can also leave comments on the website under each episode or email me directly at vethelpcast@gmail.com. I have, so far, been able to address emails within a couple of hours, but bear with me in case I get a lot.

I'd be happy to hear from the hadit family. I do know of a few on here that listen (along with Tbird). I'm not a technology expert so the website and everything is kinda new to me, but I am trying (technology has passed me by in several ways).

Please visit, listen, comment, rate, like, and SHARE if you know of anyone who might be interested.

Thanks to Tbird for this opportunity, and to the hadit family for any support...and to my wife for the intro that started in Episode 2 and the new one that she convinced me to do for Episode 5 which should be recorded and released by Wednesday.

Chuck.

Meddac, I will be sure to check that out at your site.

You know as well as everyone here that vets need all the info they can get.

Hadit's motto from Tbird is "Knowledge is Power."

But sometimes Ignorance can be bliss as they say...but there is nothing blissful about not understanding how the $%&@#&% VA claims process works.

Our ignorance as claimants will save them money...veteran's money....not their money.

Thanks Berta, I've never recorded prior to this, but as the episodes go by I learn more and become a little better prepared.

It's amazing how the nerves work. Just sitting in front of a microphone talking to no one, but speaking to everyone. I would never have thought I'd get nervous doing that, but I did....I'm getting better though.

Without Tbird's approval I would have never gotten the opportunity to share.

Edited by Meddac

It gets easy Meddac. I started out in live radio ,with our radio show producer Jerrel Cook at our live hadit  blog radio about 10 years ago on a different station.

At first I was nervous too but I just pretended maybe some vets in the audience forgot to put on their underwear , or put their teeth in, or sat there listening to the show , while picking their nose or passing gas. That eased my nerves.   (he he)

Then I realized that the vets  in the live audience could be thinking the same thing about ME!

I didn't use that idea anymore. Especially when we started to use Skype too and all of us had web cams for those shows.

I have to give a presentation at my church Thursday and speaking in front of a live audience staring at you is harder than talking on the radio.

I have to time myself and always rehearse what I am going to say, and that alone makes it fun and less nerve wracking...

And I always have a list of what I need as props   (always good to keep the momentum going)...this time I will bring a pineapple grenade, a toy M 16, some MREs and General Patton's prayer of Dec 8, 1944. Sounds odd for a church group audience but my mentor , ( the Chaplain of our local VAMC)read the speech today and said it was excellent. He always checks my bible references to make sure they are

"Kosher."

GOOD LUCK with this ! I hope it is a great success!

Next episode is recorded and waiting for momma to listen/critique. It concerns VA priority claim flashes as they are shown in the M-21, and how they are not all processed uniformly.

I also had a few responses about the comments area of the episodes. I reviewed and removed the requirement to leave an email address to make a comment. You don't even have to leave a name if so desired.

Episode 5 should release late tonight or tomorrow morning around 10am. Thanks for all the great emails and support you all have provided. Please continue the fight!

Edited by Meddac

MEDDAC. I got this when I was out voting, but maybe you got it sooner than I did from the VA IG:

http://www.va.gov/oig/pubs/VAOIG-15-02384-212.pdf

A whistle blower told the IG that a specific RO was prioritizing claims in appeal inappropriately .....

I caught the word 'substantiated' in the report but have not had time to read the whole pdf yet.