VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

FOIA for C-File

Rate this question

green

Question

To those of you who submitted a FOIA request for your C-File.

Did you receive any sort of response once you submitted the request?  I submitted a request for my C-File 10/2015 and never received a thing.  I submitted a FOIA request for my C-File a couple weeks ago but I did not receive any sort of acknowledgement.  Curious if this is the standard practice?

Thanks!

• Answers 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

4 answers to this question

• HadIt.com Elder

Gastone I would think he is wanting the S.A. SC and he may have filed it by its self? direct maybe?..but either way  he can add other claims    while gathering evidence...it just will be consider traditional claims;

:C-File Request???

I submitted the 3288 about 2 months ago ask for a redacted  hard copies or CD  I want of all my C-file Records.

Member Asknod mention to try/do it with the 21-3288

I also requested my C-file last year around May 2015  not a word, so I think the next best thing to do is email a congress critter or Secretary of VA the Man himself Robert McDonald.

I have until Jan 7th 2016  if I don't get it by then my INT runs out?  and I need my C-file real bad.

.............Buck

I requested mine on 5 April 2016.  It showed up on eBenefits as a claim and the status shows gathering evidence - requested documents past due.  I received a letter dated 13 May 2016 acknowledging receipt of my request.  The letter is from Department of Veterans Affairs, Records Management Center, PO Box 5020, St. Louis, MO 63115. The letter says in part:

We will begin searching for records responsive to your request that are within our holding.  We will grant you access to the requested records, if found, providing the records are not exempted from disclosure by law.  Any releasable sections of the requested records shall be provided to you after redaction of the parts that are exempt.

Your request will be processed in the order of receipt.  You may expect to receive a response as soon as possible.  This office provides records of 10 pages or more on a compact disc (CD) for use on your personal computer.  Records fewer than 10 total pages will be provided as paper copies.  The CD can be viewed on all computers through the use of Adobe Reader software, which is available online for free.

To request your responsive records on paper, please mail your request to:

ATTN: Paper Copy Request at the address above or you may fax your request to 314-679-3732.

I mailed my request to the Regional Office ATTN: FOIA/Privacy Act Officer via certified mail.  I guess they forwarded the request to St. Louis.  I hope this helps.

It helps, the first time I submitted the forms to the Regional Office, this time I sent an emailed PDF letter directly to the FOIA office as instructed on the VA website.

Edited by green

This is what we went through too. Eventually I figured we would be waiting for ions, so we sent a certified return reciept FOIA and Privacy Act request to them again, but this time also sent a letter to the General Counsel's office and told them we would be complying with the FOIA and Privacy Act Laws and if necessary we would file in Federal Court to get the C file, We got the Cfile within a few days, Its rediculous when you go months without even an acknowledgement. And clearly I felt like they were deliberately doing this to interfere with my husbands ability to get an independent medical exam, because you need the files to give to them.I looked the VA rules on FOIA requests and followed the law as it mandated,