Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Continue usage of CPAP after VA rating for Sleep apnea

Rate this question

VetDO

Question

Hello, 

First time user here. I posted earlier, but I don't know what happend to my post. So the bottom line is that, I received mild obstructive sleep apnea diagnosis right before I discharged from the Army few months ago. After the discharged, I received a CPAP machine from the VA hospital and moved to different state. I was told that I would need to setup an new CPAP machine at the new location. Just today, I found out that I've received 70% rating for my sleep and some other stuffs. My question is, do I have to use CPAP for rest of my life to receive my 50% for sleep apnea? I haven't used my CPAP because I get worse sleep. Will the VA reduce my rating if I don't get issued a new CPAP and continue with "treatment"? Thank you for your help. 

-vetDO.

Yes, the technology has improved on the machines.  For example, you may need a bipap instead of a cpap.  I dont think that will change your rating, as your symptoms did not "actaully improve" when docs try a new treatment.  Go see your (sleep) doc and tell him your issues with the machine.  Mine was realy good.  

While I agree with Buck that the VA would have a tough time reducing you solely based on the data from the SD card, if YOU admitted you quit using the machine to the doc, then you just confirmed the data.   It reminds me of getting a "photo ticket", where the photo does not show your face.  If that red light photo does not show your face, and you loaned the vehicle, its hard to prove "you" were driving, absent your admission to same. 

Years ago, my son was driving my van and I was sent a red light photo ticket.  I responded that I was not driving, that it may have been my son.  Of course I dont know if he lent the van to others,  as he parked the van at his house.  It was true I was not driving...I did not drive in the area where the van was ticketed.  

I was never convicted or charged for the ticket, but had I paid the fine, it would have been my admission of guilt.  I dont think my son paid the ticket either.  

IN a similar way, the sd card is "evidence" and, it would surely be given a presumptive, if you admitted to it.  However, I dont know what would happen if your testimony conflicted with the SD card, I suspect that your evidence would decide unless the VA had compelling data as to the accuracy of the sd card.  DNA testing works because the police have data showing that DNA is highly accurate.