Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DAV Unoffical Letter

Rate this question

papahotel58

Question

I received a letter from the DAV Friday July 8th

"This letter is not intended to serve as your official notification from the Department of Veterans Affairs(VA)."

I have been 90% for a year and I applied for IU and was denied after I lost my job last July and haven't been able to work since.

It goes on to say:

The DAV has reviewed the most recent VA decision concerning your claim for benefits.

A combined evaluation of 100 percent plus entitlement to benefits at the 100 percent rate due to

individual unemployment has been assigned as a result  of the following actions,

IU granted July 11, 2015 to March 8, 2016. so its been back dated to when I first applied so Back PAY may be possible? I hope.

My DAV rep told me over the phone that after March 8th I will be at  the regular 100 percent rate" nothing mentioning P&T yet " what is regular 100%?

and it goes on to show increases from all SC issues.

50%

50%

50%

20%

20%

20%

10%

10%

My questions are;

1. How accurate are these DAV letters?

2. Is the letter from the DAV any indication that a VA award letter is closer to reaching my mail box within the next month?

3. And how long before I see any back pay or Raise in my current disability pay check.

Thank you all for your help, its been a real struggle but hopefully things will be easier to manage finically and reduce some of the stress on my wife and myself as I continue to battle my own

demons.

v/r

Edited by papahotel58
MISSING INFO

4 answers to this question

The text RE your ratings, findings, etc is a paraphrase directly off the ratings screen(s) that DAV can see. 

The DAV letter is a precursor, yes, but as to whether it will be a few days or weeks is anyone's guess. Each RO has different caseloads and different numbers of Vets served. I live in NE. My RO can get an award letter to me in a week. The Ne-Ks-Western IA RO is not St. Petersburg FL or Dallas though, which are crushed with huge numbers of vets, for comparison.

The backpay will *usually* find you before the official letter does, or very soon afterwards- UNLESS its a HUGE amount, that takes more time, sometimes several weeks or even a few months. The raise in your current disability amount will take a month to show up since the VA pays 1 month in arrears. 

If you were awarded IU, backdated to when you filed your claim, and then from March 8th forward are 100% that means that you are schedularly 100%. Not "90% with IU and getting paid for 100%" You qualify for CHAMP VA (well, your dependants do), and depending on P/T status you may qualify for dependent education benefits. With a 100% schedular rating you can work, too, and not have to worry about losing your disability amount, vs. IU where you specifically can't work. The only caveat to this is if you are receiving a 100% rating for MH. That rating schedule says very specifically for 100% "total occupational and social impairment". 

Apply for SSDI if you have not, though, if you apply for SSDI you are saying you can't work, so what I typed above would not apply. 

At the State level if you have kids or a spouse (or you) that want to go to school for something many State universities offer pretty generous, and up to fully paid, tuition for 100% disabled vets and their dependents. It varies a little by State. Also look into whether or not your State has a homestead exemption for 'real' property (real estate- your house). You can get a percentage off your property taxes for being 100% disabled, in some states up to 100% remission of property taxes. That can really change your Escrow and your monthly mortgage payment so check with your lender, too.. (If it applies to you)

Breath. Take another breath. Now.....take another. Don't buy a motorcycle, don't buy a car (unless you really need one). SIt on this back pay and adjust to your monthly amount. Should you decide not to work (or if you can't) you are on a fixed income. Thats an adjustment for most people. Your purchasing power is higher since its not taxable, but still. Don't go totally nuts with it. Sock some away and build up that fund that you've always meant to start but maybe didn't. 

Congratulations! Now, take a break. 

Edited by brokensoldier244th

Thank you Brokensoldier244th

I am currently 90% disabled for s/c  50% PTSD, 50% sleep apnea obstructive, 50% migraine headaches, 20% Radiculopathy/L, 20% Radiculopathy/R, 10% cervical strain, 10% tinnitus and 10%, degenerative joint disease, 0% hearing loss, 0% shoulder injury.

I was awarded SSDI last year on first attempt for all s/c disabilities, only things not s/c (in VA eyes) was my left knee and hypertension.
I am a home owner in NC, so I will have to check on the real state tax, also got a application from the DAV for disabled veteran life insurance to fill out and return. Its says they pay all the premiums for 100% DV, that's a nice perk.

I'm also retired military so already getting Tricare and will get Medicare in less than 2 years.

I'm 58 yrs old and really cant deal with crowded places or people well, along with my other issues every day is a challenge, I would have love to have continued working. I had a great job that paid $70k now just hoping to work on my bucket list if I can keep my shit together and live long enough to cash in the checks.

Trying to get my son on the right path as well, he served 5 years with the 82nd and got wounded in Afghanistan just having a hard time getting him trough the process.

Thank you for the encouragement Brokensoldier.

Edited by papahotel58

Great advice Brokensoldier!!  You said a mouthful!!  Congratulations to you Papahotel58.  Take a well deserved break!!!!