VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Rate this question

EODCMC

Question

I have a question that I have been unable to definitively find an answer here and elsewhere. 

I have an FDC for a couple of afflictions. If, for some unforeseen reason I die of an unrelated issue, will my wife receive the compensation and for how long? Would the answer change if my death were related to my afflictions?

I understand that this question assumes I will be awarded disability compensation.

iI apologize if this has been answered before, perhaps many times. I'm still working on my "find" skills here on  Hadit. 

No hurry, I have the rest of my life.

I fully understand. My wife can barely use her phone, bless her heart. Thankfully, my daughter is very savvy, pragmatic and cerebral. I am keeping her up to date.

Just to be clear, I have no pending crisis. I just want my family prepared. They hate it when I have these discussions, but I've seen to much pain, on here and elsewhere. 

Thanks agian Berta. You are an angel.

That is very kind of you and I commend you and all other vets who think ahead for their spouses. 

It is a very difficult subject to discuss sometimes with family members..

The vets I know locally and here are always far more concerned about their spouses ,if they die, than many civilians I know.

When either one of you  has had 100% P & T for ten continuous years, and one of you dies and the death is the vet  at the ten year mark ( 100% SC P & T for ten continuous years )that means your spouse will be eligible for DIC.

Or if your death certificate shows prime cause of death as a NSC death but also states a substantially contributing factor to death, that is also a service connected disability,with no ten year 100% SC  P & T status established, then the VA should properly award DIC in that case as well.

For example: Say veteran dies due to a non service connected renal disease, under # 1Prime Cause of death on the death certificate.

But the death certificate states under # 2 that the veteran's diabetes mellitus contributed to his/her death, as a secondary factor.

In that case, if the DMII was service connected, the VA should award DIC.

I say 'should' but that will depend on the posthumous C & P exam.

Say this vet had a claim pending at death for renal disease due to the DMII ( Very possible medically)

The survivor should substitute themselves as the claimant and pursue that claim for any potential accrued benefits.

Vets also should definitely claim anything that could possibly cause their death.Not only would the additional claim possibly put them into a SMC criteria if they already have 100% or TDIU, but also one never knows what might cause their death and it could be a minor disability in their lifetime yet could possibly impacted significantly on the cause of their death.