Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Prostate Cancer

Rate this question

notapb1

Question

I am currently at 80 % and unemployability P&T being paid at 100% rate. I have been recently diagnosed with Prostate Cancer. Since I'm all ready being paid at the 100% rate is it even worth submitting a claim?

Thanks 

Bill

3 answers to this question

This is my thought, if something may be the cause of my death then I am going to make sure I am rated for it if it is service connected.  I want to know my spouse and children will receive the benefits, I can't remember off the top of my head what the rules are for IU PT and how long you have to be rated and die from something not service connected, but well I don't really trust the VA to do the "right" thing either so CYA is always my motto.

You bet, seminoles.

It is possible that the prostate cancer would put you into a temporary SMC criteria.

If the 100% you have now is for one distinct disability, then if the cancer is completely separate from that disability, it is possible you would meet the SMC criteria (100% plus 60 ) for the 6 month period , as within this BVA decision:

http://www.index.va.gov/search/va/view.jsp?FV=http://www.va.gov/vetapp15/Files6/1553785.txt

You could also be eligible for the SMC K award.

Thank you. 80% is based on PTSD and Diabetes Type 2. No relation to the cancer. SO said she would submit!