Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Severe TBI 70% diagnosed and now PTSD diagnosed

Rate this question

jfrei

Question

Doc said she could only speculate the difference  between the both with the symptoms how will this be rated?

2 answers to this question

The VA often points out that doctors are not claims raters.  (Maybe they should be).  PTSD, if service connected, will be rated under the same criteria as alll mental health disorders.  You wont get paid twice for symptoms of PTSD AND symptoms of TBI, if there is any overlap, there.  

As far as PTSD, it is always about symptoms, once service connected.  Since I dont know your symptoms, I wont venture a guess.  Your rating could be all the way from 0%, if you are asymptomatic, to 100% if you have "major impairment in most areas such as work and relationships."  

If you are working full time, then you wont likely get higher than 50% for PTSD, because it isnt "total occupational impairment" if you are working.  

If you are not working, due to sc conditions, then you could expect to eventually either get TDIU, or 100% schedular.  

My PTSD was filed in 2014 were they denied me service connection as well as denied my TBI from 2010. I won my appeal but only had the TBI listed on the appeal the less there is the quicker it comes I guess my attorney thought process. At that time I was at 30% when the TBI was granted at 70% it shot up to 90%. I filed my appeal for my TBI in Dec 2015 and was granted May 2016. I had initially filed a reopen for my PTSD  in Feb 2016 and was lucky they granted my TBI before my new exam took place, they entered into my PTSD exam unlike last time. The doctor medical opinion is that per DSM-5 or something I am service connected for my PTSD claim she listed all my symptoms. The contact at the regional said it hasn't been assigned to a rater but that I was service connected. I was thinking I was going to be 50% as well only cause I am currently employed although I told I didn't know if it could last this was my 5th job in the past year and I can't take working 3rd shift with my fatigue problem but was doing it to support my wife kid and dogs.