VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Veterans Administrative Records Stored Where?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

Does anyone know when you have filed a previous claim, are your administrative records and medical records still at the Archives, or all copies with your claims file.

I know that when I filed in 1978 the Va did not secure these records.

I have requested my administrative records from the archives and received a complete set each time. This would be in May of this year and July.

Does the Archives keep a copy of your Administrative Records, no matter how many times you have filed for service connected benefits and does the R. O have a copy also.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

Well now I have a question after reading this post. When I was medically seperated from the Air Force I was placed on the temporary retired disability list. During my Out Processing I was going through a check list with the personel toads and they asked me about any medical conditions other than my disability. I advised them of my shoulder injury from tech school and we noted that on the checklist. he told me my seperation date could not be pushed out for me to get a physical that I had to get out on the date specified on my Orders no if ands or buts. So I got out and had ID card listed as medically retired. I went to the VA and signed up told them about my shoulder injury which was not what I was seperated for and was denied a service connection rating. They said there was no record of me having a shoulder injury. Well now I am ordering my Admin records from the Archives because I believe that checklist may be in there. So my question is. Does the VA have to get my Service records or just my Service Medical records. and are they Liable for not reviewing all my records for supporting my claim. Is this an example of them not doing everything they can to help the Vet per U.S.C. regulations? I seperated in 1993 was removed from Temporary retirement in 1995 and have been rated at 30 percent for my headaches ever since.

Romad the VA is supposed to get all service records but I have had many cases where they failed to-

It is best to get them yourself from National Archives-

I think I gave you a link? if not let me know-

It is best to request all military medical records and even all perosnnel records in some cases as a change in duty or personnel entry could support a claim in some ways too-

sounds like the shoulder injury should be right on the discharge med certificate you got-

These days- things are different -they advise all new vets to leave the base with a complete copy of their SMRs.My daughter USAF 7 years went to a briefing that they are all supposed to attend- she attended the Navy one for some reason-

There was an AL guy and a VA guy there- telling them all about the importance of their SMRs and how to file a claim-especially within the first year after service-

She said it was excellent but said- of course the VA guy didnt tell anyone how the VA Really is-

"and are they Liable for not reviewing all my records for supporting my claim. Is this an example of them not doing everything they can to help the Vet per U.S.C. regulations? "

It is a violation of VA regs but the vet themselves have to make sure that the proper records are before them when they make a decision.

A vet denied due to he VA not accessing or addressing their records -should raise this issue in their NOD- and then attach copies of highlighted SMRs or other records they didnt use.

Romad- the VA has some wonderful people at all levels but a lot of incompetent ones too-

I am a civilian but I guess this might even be the case for the military too.

You have to tell the RO's stuff in NODs, like they are ten years old.

And attach anything that supports what you disagree with.