VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder - How? Where Is The Evidence?

Rate this question

Josephine

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Hi,

The BVA wants to know " What was the reason for her early discharge"?

Why was I given a Personality Code of 460 on my dicharge?

Where is the evidence of a personality disorder?

What I have in my record :

1. Request and Approval for a change of duty station.

2. Vascular v tension headaches - caffergot not effective - librium 4 times daily.

3. Psychiatric consulation for nervousness, headaches and irratability with a change of efficiency. Dis-satisfied with working conditions and foul mouth people. Felt that the recruiters lied to her.

4. Second psychiatric consutation- symptoms the same. no personality conflicts recommends early discharge.

5. Evaluation Board of 4 sign off for discharge by reason of unsuitability.

Headaches, Nervousness, Librium and Caffergot - How does this equal a Personality Disorder?

My first claim of 1978, was filed for Nervousness, headaches and high blood pressure.

Received letter within 6 weeks - no service connection. No records acquired by Va.

I have 42 years of medical records for nervous anxiety and headaches.

In 1978 and 2002- if I tell the counselor to acquire the Compentecy Review Psychiatric Records- are they still not obligated to get them from the Archives? Are they not obligated to acquire my Administrative Records.

2003 awared Pension for Anxiety and Depression.

2004 - I acquire all the psychaitric records and competency review board.

2006 - I acquire all the administrative records with the missing request for change of duty station and the evaluation board.

Now, where am I, except ready to drop the whole mess! I am sick of it all!

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• Answers 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

When you get an unsuitability discharge they need some reason for the discharge. Were you boarded out of the service against your will or did you sign off on it? Did you have legal advice from the JAG? I imagine your discharge was under honorable conditions?

Josephine, your reasons for discharge SPN 460 "Emotional Instability Reaction" could be interpreted as having severe anxiety, depression, anger, etc. (The Army use this stupid codes for prevention, if you wanted to re-enlist again).

I was separated under SPN 264 "Unsuitability, character and behavioral disorder" I thought, for years, I was separated under medical conditions.

The research the VA carried about personality disorder, showed that personality disorder sometimes was so intertwine with the other mental disorders that was almost imposible to separate.

One of the reasosns I won my PTSD claim was because I requested a transfer to another unit

(because of traumatic experince)

You have good evidence of record to win your claim

You have the evidence linking what happen to you to service

You have the continuity of symptomatology

You were discharge under "Emotional Instablity Reaction" You can win your claim with this discharge, it is providing the evidence and the link.

Don`t give up, it took me 12 years to get SC for my PTSD, and my claim didn`t have the evidence or the linkage to service like your claim does.

be your own advocate and continue learning the process. Rigo

• HadIt.com Elder
When you get an unsuitability discharge they need some reason for the discharge. Were you boarded out of the service against your will or did you sign off on it? Did you have legal advice from the JAG? I imagine your discharge was under honorable conditions?

John999,

When I couldn't take the headaches and the nervousness anymore, due to abuse at this duty station.

I first placed a request for a Transfer to another Duty Station and then I waited and waited.

This paper did show up with my Administrative Records - this year.

Next, When I couldn't take anymore, I went to Dr. Cxxxxxx, who was my treating physician at the time in service, and told him that I couldn't handle the nerves and the headaches any longer and could he please help me to get a discharge

He said that he would get back to me and ask me if I was prepared to go before a Compentency Review Board and I told him yes, what ever it takes.

I had been taking the Caffergot for no one knows how long. The medication is written as complaint of headaches since German Measles Hospitalization. Caffergot in effective - Verscular v Tension headaches.

Librium 3 or 4 times a day.

Next, came the harrassment by Lt. K. Personnel Office and his Yeomen. If you take this early discharge, you will be a disgrace and will be giving up your G. I Benfits. To get away from the abuse, I didn't care.

Psychiatric Consulation with Dr. Jxxxx - In consulation today by referral of medical officers for headaches, nerveness and irratability. Dis-satisfied with working conditons and feels that with a change, she may be able to serve.

Psychiatric Consulation with Dr. Mxxxx Board Certified - In consulation today complaints the same. No personality conflicts - dis-satisfied with working conditons and living in the barracks with foul mouth people. Recommmeds discharge .

Evaluation Board of 4 members

Chaplain - Very Nice! No records to be found of this conversation.

No legal advice.

Honorable discharge with that code of 460

24 hours to vacate premises given $15.36 cents, a bottle of Librium and a bottle of Caffergot and find yourself home the best way that you can. Even in 1964 that money didn't go far. I would have thought that the navy would have least bought me a bus ticket or something. No!

Yes, I signed a paper that I was getting an Honorable Discharge by Reason of Unsuitability, not eligible for re-enlistment.

I located a paper that states Navy Department - Reason Emotional Immaturity - Give her a Code of 460, but keep it hid. Do not let anyone see this.

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

• HadIt.com Elder
Josephine, your reasons for discharge SPN 460 "Emotional Instability Reaction" could be interpreted as having severe anxiety, depression, anger, etc. (The Army use this stupid codes for prevention, if you wanted to re-enlist again).

I was separated under SPN 264 "Unsuitability, character and behavioral disorder" I thought, for years, I was separated under medical conditions.

The research the VA carried about personality disorder, showed that personality disorder sometimes was so intertwine with the other mental disorders that was almost imposible to separate.

One of the reasosns I won my PTSD claim was because I requested a transfer to another unit

(because of traumatic experince)

You have good evidence of record to win your claim

You have the evidence linking what happen to you to service

You have the continuity of symptomatology

You were discharge under "Emotional Instablity Reaction" You can win your claim with this discharge, it is providing the evidence and the link.

Don`t give up, it took me 12 years to get SC for my PTSD, and my claim didn`t have the evidence or the linkage to service like your claim does.

be your own advocate and continue learning the process. Rigo

Rigo,

I have been screaming so loud at the Va. Dr. C thought that I had a medical discharge and believe me, he was more than a little surprised, when I contacted him for a letter of explanation of my treatment from him and his assisting me with the early discharge.

So much for the Va.

It is all in the hands of the AMC.

I have done just about everything that I can do.

Thanks,

Josephine

Edited by Josephine

It never ceases to amaze me on how so many Veterans are discharged by no fault of there own due to the system that was created to protect our consitutional rights yet so blantly disregards the laws of the land in order to cover up the misdeeds of some other military member or members to safe guard the integerity of the unit...when I was discharged in 79 it was coded unable to adapt to military ways and then it was coded RE-1 (so I could not re-enlist) and only recently when I filed a claim for SC did I discover when I received my 12 measly pages of Veteran Records from St. Louis...that there was an additional code and when the VA Service Rep I first talked to looked it up..it was for AWOL...yet on my service records they had to pay me for 22 days of leave...unbelivable...but that is water under the bridge...back in 1980 The State Senator who came to the base I was stationed at and had a congressional investigation into my situlation sent documentation to the Dept. of the Air Force or Defence (don't remember now) but had the code changed so I could re-enilst if I chose to...which I did not...after the personnal assulat at the hands of my NCOIC I could never bring myself to go back in...and I have ran ever since...

I know back when I was discharged it was a very confusing and overwheling time in my life...and I really didn't care what was on those papers...I just wanted to get away from the shop I was in...even after I had repeatly put in for a transfer that never came...

Another thing I noticed when My packet came from the arcives none of the paper work was in there to the complaints I put in with the EEOC I think they called it social actions back then...were in the records or any mention that I had put in complaints...there was no record of the congressional investigation nothing...I know if it wasn't for God's intervention I would not have kept all those records...all those letters...and statements from my fellow workers...of what was going on ...if I had not kept all those records from 77-79 I would not have had any way to prove my claim of personal assualt..

I wonder now how many men and women are unable to make SC claims because the Military destroys evidence from complaints that they may have filed...I did not realize that those type things are not kept...and if you have a UIF (unfavorable information file..) after you are discharged they are disposed of as well...and the cover-up continue...

just getting something off my mind..

I think that part of basic training should be what can happen if you do not KEEP RECORDS...AND KEEP your own copies of any complaints...if these young people can see what the VEts of day gone by are going through to seek Veteran benifits that they are well deserving of...maybe they will not make the same mistakes and just assume that when they go to the base hospital that the doctor or medical person is putting in all the data..esp. if you go in and say...I just can't sleep at night...those kind of symptoms...

that kind of entries sure can help a vet in later years...

• HadIt.com Elder

Josephine,

As I have said many times before, you do have a good reason to fight this for all the reasons lobo stated plus some. However when trying to get an effective date of 1978 there are additional issues that will be difficult. It is not only a question of personality disorder Vs. some other condition, there is a much simpler question. Is emotionally unstable reaction a service connectable condition?

This diagnosis was given at the time of your discharge. I have stated before that the VA lumped it into the same type of claim as a personality disorder. I would also bet that the VA can produce good reason to justify there action. I do not think this was an error. I hope I am wrong. If I am wrong other doors could open to an earlier claim date.

For your information I went through the same thing. Discharged for a condition that was not considered service connectable. I filed a claim and it was denied as not well grounded. My service officer exlplained that my battle was more with the military than the VA. He told me the VA accepts the diagnosis given at the time of discharge. They do not fish for reasons to service connect your claim. They had no obligation to develop a claim for a condition that had previously been diagnosed as a non service connectable condition at any time and the VA would not seek a new medical opinion just because I thought I had been missed diagnosed. He told me the burden of proof was on me at this time. The following is what the SO told me I had to do to get the VA to override the original ruling of "Not Well Grounded" because the inservice diagnosis was for a non service coonnectable condition.

I had to show that the symptoms noted in the military were either misdiagnosed or that they were actually early symptoms of a condition that was diagnosed after discharge. He told me to file a claim indicating that I am specifically disputing the military diagnosis of the non service connectable condition and to obtain a current diagnosis from a psychologist (preferably one at the VA) supporting the new or changed diagnosis. I went to the VA and got a VA psychologist to write a favorable report. The DRO asked for an additional exam by a doctor of his choice. His doctor also wrote a favorable report and I was service connected.

Additionally, my SO told me that my award would be from the date of the new report and that he would not represent me in any claim for an earlier effective date. I took the award I got with the new date and put the other issues to rest. I feel like I got screwed out of 26 years of benefits by the fact that the VA military played diagnostic games and the VA did nothing to undo the BS. The earlier effective date became a brick wall that I felt would have taken an act of congress to make reparations. I am sure you were around when I wrote all my posts about the VA's BS system. I was of the opinion that had the attorney who represented me in a labor law claim reviewed my SMR at the time of my discharge I would have been service connected in 1970.

Hang in There