Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

New Sleep Apnea Claim

Rate this question

Black3018

Question

Hello everyone,

I just had my initial consult for sleep apnea.  I havnt had the sleep study performed yet but I did get these numbers from the initial questionnaire:

Berlin Questionnaire: POSITIVE (+++)

Epworth Sleepiness Scale: 9/24

Fatigue Severity Scale: 42/63

Insomnia Severity Index: 18/28

Based on these results and suspicion for sleep disordered breathing, an

oligosomnogram was ordered. Sleep Clinic follow-up scheduled in ~6 months.

I wasn't diagnosed with any sleep issues while I was active but when I was explaining to my PTSD therapist about how I was having issues sleeping she stated that it seems like I have insomnia and possibly a major sleep apnea issue.  My wife had to wake me up several times a night when shes home due to either snoring or breathing issues.  My question to you guys is what would be the best way to put a claim in for sleep apnea?  Should I do the secondary issue and attach it to my ptsd (rated at 50%)?  this will be only my second claim and I want to make sure I do it right.  Please help me

When I originally filed for OSA, it was denied saying I stated I had it all my life. What I said I had all my life was a lump that the doctor was looking at while we were talking about sleep problems and symptoms he DX as possible OSA. Our VSO suggested I reopen the case after 20 years, and we did. And won.

Long story short, I had statements from my wife, two of my adult children, my sister and my room mate from my first duty assignment in the army, all testifying I did NOT have OSA when I entered the army. The OSA was SC after about a year wait.

If you have any medical records in service that mention sleep issues, panic attacks, snoring, etc. (symptoms), or were diagnosed within a year of leaving active duty, it may help to file with buddy letters before and after those symptoms appeared. Your sleep doctor may also be able to reasonably determine how advanced your OSA is (not sure of this, but if you haven't had it for decades, maybe a chance).

Finally, some things are overturned on appeal unexpectedly.

Good luck!

Well, I didn't go to medical for sleep issue because it was a normal thing in my unit.  I have the contact info for an attorney who specializes in fighting the VA and has done several sleep apnea cases.  Im going to contact him and get help because it seems like Im goin to need it.  I have made contact with people I was stationed with and they are writing letters saying that I snored and had breathing issues while I was living with them.  Thank you guys for the advice.  I am also going to file a claim for my scar under my eye where I received shrapnel.  Its going to be a process and I will fight on.  Thanks again. Im also getting my full medical and service records.  that might take some time but It needs to be done

Edited by Black3018
more info

Your reason for not going to medical while on active duty is a common one. The problem is that most folks develop OSA in their lifetime. Even though the VA will give one the benefit of doubt, they still look for a reason to discount a claim. Logic has nothing to do with it, as far as they are concerned...and, it's not going to get better with so many veterans trying to find a way. But, I'm just another veteran. I would be in the same "boat" if my wife didn't threaten divorce if I didn't go to medical about my snoring and interrupted breathing. 

I wasnt going to get any help until my wife woke me up and said that I scared her because I stopped breathing while I was sleeping.  Thats honestly the only reason I went to the VA for help.  I didnt snore before I was in.