VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Parkinson vs Parkinsonism

Rate this question

x020574

Question

Is Parkinsonism presumptive as it is in Parkinson's for Viet Nam vets if exposed to herbicides?

I recently had a MRI of the head checking for clots. Surprisingly the report came back stating :

"MRI head: There is a punctate chronic lacunar infarct of the left caudate head. There is no evidence of hemorrhage, edema, masses, mass effect, midline shift or infarction. The ventricles and sulci are normal in caliber and configuration. Scattered areas of nonspecific periventricular, subcortical and deep white matter T2/FLAIR hyper intensity are in a configuration most suggestive of chronic small vessel ischemic disease. There is no abnormal enhancement after contrast administration. There is no abnormal focus of slowed diffusion. The principal intracranial vascular flow voids are preserved. The dural venous sinuses are patent on MP-RAGE images. "

I apparently have some kind of asymptomatic stroke and was not aware of it (lacunar infarct). Also there is the subject of  'white matter' and 'chronic small vessel ischemic disease'

Has anyone filed these conditions as secondary? I am SC for IHD, DMII, PTSD. From what I have read the Lacunar Infarct is mostly caused by hypertension.

• Answers 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 hours ago, Buck52 said:

Just reading up on  Parkinsonism

I think it would qualify for the actually presumption A.O, LIST it has the same symptoms as Parkinson , or just file as presumption Parkinson.

I am fairly sure it could be file on its own and not fie it secondary/you have Vietnam boots on the ground service  all you would need is your DD-214  Showing you were in Vietnam and medical records to prove you have it....VA Will concede any A.O. Presumption Disease.

with what you are already rated for  and I take it your rating is 90%combined

if you get rated for Parkinson at least 50% that will boost you up to the 100%  if you get a rating of 60% or more that should qualify you for SMC-S H.B. & That is a Mandatory Rating because that would be a separate rating.

jmo

Thanks Buck52 and you are correct, I'm rated at 90% but was awarded 100% TPIU. I will see what the Neurologist says this week... keep you posted. Thanks for your due diligence !

• HadIt.com Elder

Having TDIU is all the better  but the way VA uses the math  its hard for a veteran to reach the 100%level  with 10% 20%30%  but if he/she has enough of them they sure will add up.

You being TDIU and being paid at the 100%  and  rated 90% and they used the extra scheduler rating

for the IU...no matter how you got there  your there...LoL

Note: you may recheck your rating letter when you recieved TDIU  they may  have given you SMC back then? if you qualified and could not leave home for work!!!

What might happen With this new parkinson claim...I don't wish you bad with the disease but if they at least rate you 60%  that will be determined from the symptoms you have and the severity and problems it cause you..so check all and every medical records you have on parkinso/what its related to...

to be able to get the SMC's you will need a separate rating of 60%  but sometimes under unusual circumstances to this diesease the VA can and should give the SMC to you.

Now if you get a 30% parkinson and another s.c. condition added up 30 % for other   S.C.conditions, They will give you the 100%and probable keep you TDIU but not SMC

Remember if a veteran is 100% or TDIU  he/she has to have a Separate Rating of 60% or more For qualify for SMC-S.H.B.

this is not fair in my opinion but thats the way VA Is.

I wish you the best and you get the SMC-S H.B.

Edited by Buck52

1 hour ago, Buck52 said:

Having TDIU is all the better  but the way VA uses the math  its hard for a veteran to reach the 100%level  with 10% 20%30%  but if he/she has enough of them they sure will add up.

You being TDIU and being paid at the 100%  and  rated 90% and they used the extra scheduler rating

for the IU...no matter how you got there  your there...LoL

Note: you may recheck your rating letter when you recieved TDIU  they may  have given you SMC back then? if you qualified and could not leave home for work!!!

What might happen With this new parkinson claim...I don't wish you bad with the disease but if they at least rate you 60%  that will be determined from the symptoms you have and the severity and problems it cause you..so check all and every medical records you have on parkinso/what its related to...

to be able to get the SMC's you will need a separate rating of 60%  but sometimes under unusual circumstances to this diesease the VA can and should give the SMC to you.

Now if you get a 30% parkinson and another s.c. condition added up 30 % for other   S.C.conditions, They will give you the 100%and probable keep you TDIU but not SMC

Remember if a veteran is 100% or TDIU  he/she has to have a Separate Rating of 60% or more For qualify for SMC-S.H.B.

this is not fair in my opinion but thats the way VA Is.

I wish you the best and you get the SMC-S H.B.

Thanks again, I understand what you are saying. I did get SMC's for H.B. and one for E.D. I am mostly concerned that if I drop dead from clots I want my wife to receive DIC bene.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger That xo20574