Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Change your Representative POA

Rate this question

Carl the Engineer

Question

All,

I am currenty represented by the VFW, and was quite happy with them since I started this journey in 2008.

My buddy is represented by the American Legion and he is quite happy with them.

Now, what differs is, he has and is in contact with his rep from the American Legion and I have never heard peep one from my rep or have seen any correspondence either.  I am life members of both org, not that it matters, or should.

Anyway, when I got my last claim(s) back, I did not get a warm and fuzzy feeling that there had been any effort to exploit what the C&P examiner had wrote in the exam.  Even though the rater had asked the examiner to opine on the arthritis (x-ray) right ankle and the examiner did say it was from my plantar fasiitis and that it was from my service, there was no mention in my rating.  I understand that I did not claim the right ankle arthritis, but if they were not going to consider it, then why did the rater ask (reffered twice) the examiner to opine about it, and that she did and in the affirmative.

Also, I did claim left ankle pain secondary and was given a service connection secondary to my right foot for left ankle achilles tendon at 0%.  I wear (prescribed) a brace on my left ankle for stability.  Anyway, I do not see how that is not a 10% just because of pain?

I'm not in a hurry, but I am going to appeal the 0% on the left ankle for pain and do a new claim for the arthritis in my right ankle.

Back to my main question, would I be better to switch to the American Legion or go solo from now on.  Not sure I'm smart enough for that.

And what access do you get by going it alone that is different than when you are being represented by a organization.  Specifics would be nice to know.

Stay warm, spring is coming,

Hamslice     

Good luck getting your C-File, I've asked for mine twice, first time in Nov of 2014, they told me in April of 2016 they had no record of the request (even though in July of 2015 the RO mentioned on a phone call they received the request.  I filed a FOIA in May and am still waiting.

I fired DAV in 2014, like many others have said, all I ever received from them were requests for $.

You need to go into your new POA and fill out VA Form 21-22, and both of you need to sign and both of you need to date it. You need to ensure 'Access' (aka 7332 notice) is checked.

Do not check anything in box 13- VA will revoke your POA's eFolder access.

There's zero harm going it alone and leaving a POA on your record- Nothing, that I know of, is actually sent to them, they just access files through the eFolder.

That way, if you need to view something, you can still go to your POA and look at your eFolder.

I did talk to my CVSO today.  She is who I have taken my claims to and she forwards them to my POA, the VFW.  She did tell me that currently the VFW is doing a better job than the Legion, and that the Legion is overworked undermaned, etc.

She did give me a contact for my VFW rep, so I may contact him when I get my c-file.

If I don't get my c-file by July, I will file the appeal and the new secondary with what is on myHealthyvet and my medical records that are at the VA Hospital.  I was just hoping the c-file would explain some things to me better.

If I can swing it, I may get an IME/IMO also.

The other issue is I live about 4 hours from anythng, either VFW rep or a Doctor that will do an Veteran IME/IMO.  Doctors around here, do not understand the VA claim process and will not fill out any VA forms, etc.  I had a doctor fill out a SSDI form for my wife (which I can believe worked) that he only filled out one blank and signed his name.  I know that would not fly in the VA world.

Anyway, thanks for the imput,

Hamslice