Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Personality Disorder,

Rate this question

Guest Jim S.

Question

Guest Jim S.

More than a few of us have been classified with personality disorder by the military or the VA Examiner. I have been wondering how they determine one with one and how do they guage it's severity, so that they could differentiate it from a mental disorder.

I found it hard to believe that I had a personality disorder, since it was never noted prior to enlistment, nor during my psychological tests at enlistment, nor the absence of anything saying I had it during service, nor was it noted on my re-enlistment physical, and nor was it noted during my three month hospitalization after my psychotic episode.

It's strange to note that my so called personality disorder was only noted by the VA Examiner and has not been noted anyware in my medical records since and not in any of the last two plus years, in which I have been under treatment for associated disorders to my psychotic episode, for which the VA continues to deny as nothing new or material to my personality disorder, Still further to fail to address the psychotic episode as a mental disorder.

I have had my ups and downs while in the service, but I was never repermanded or had Capt. Mast for anything. My regular evaluations are average to above average, I went from Seaman Apprentice to Hospitalman Third Class in the first half of my first enlistment and was selected one of two endividuals to attend a specialty school in my unit, I was also recommended for an additional specialty school and advancement upon completion to Hospitalman Second Class. Somehow I don't see this as a servicman with a personality disorder that was unfit for duty or the reason for my psychotic episode.

I know I'm rambling along, but I have run out of things to do for my claim, while the VA does their thing, but to wonder how the VA could consider such an opinion, taking into the consideration besides the ups and down in my limited career, that my superiors thought well enough of me to recommend my request for re-enlistment and pass the re-enlistment physical too and to recommed advancement to the next high rate upon completion of this advace school.

I just wish their is a way to tell where your claim is in the stack of all the other claims. Something that tells you are number two or three in a stack of a dozen, something besides we have your claim and nothing new to report.

AAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Jim S. :unsure::rolleyes::unsure:

Edited by Jim S.

• Answers 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

When the VA sees an opportunity not to pay a vet with a emotional/mental disorder they diagnose you with a personality disorder. I think during the Vietnam era if you were not psychotic it was common for the VA and military to hang a personality disorder on the vet. The only way to fight that is to get medical evidence to refute the diagnosis. I think I was lucky because I filed for a claim within one of service, otherwise, I would have had a fight on my hands.

The VA instead of rating my PTSD, used the diagnosis of Personality disorder to deny my claim. The VA denied my claim several times using this diagnosis of Personality disorder until I submited a medical study that stated that personality disorder was so intertwine with PTSD that it was almost imposible to separate them. After that, they continue denying my claim for other reasons. Personality disorder could never be considered service-connected because, it has his onset in adolescence and early adulthood. Hope this helps

In reading the regulation below, wouldn't it be possible to get SC for

a personality disorder secondary to SC for Seizures and Brain Trauma

IF a qualified professional provided a nexus ?

carlie

§4.127 Mental retardation and personality disorders.

Mental retardation and personality disorders are not diseases or injuries for compensation purposes, and, except as provided in §3.310(a) of this chapter, disability resulting from them may not be service-connected. However, disability resulting from a mental disorder that is superimposed upon mental retardation or a personality disorder may be service-connected. (Authority: 38 U.S.C. 1155)

[53 FR 22, Jan. 4, 1988, as amended at 61 FR 52700, Oct. 8, 1996]

Carlie passed away in November 2015 she is missed.