VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

MDD

Rate this question

gousto0731

Question

today I spoked with my DAV person about the low 30% rating I was give.  I ask if I should appeal for a much higher rating because of my gaf score of 45,

I was informed that the higher rating are for people with PTSD. should I disregard this and appeal anyway.

4 answers to this question

The DAV person was wrong. MH issues are all rated the same way.

They are here within the VA Schedule of Ratings topic.

The VA does not depend on GAF anymore.

If you feel your medical evidence warrants a higher rating, by all means appeal the decision. You might need to consider getting an IMO/IME as well.

Edited by Berta

Thank you . I used a private DR. and his assistant and they both agreed my diagnosis of MDD chronic recurrent /

PTSD with GAF of 45 . I submitted my IMO from my Doctors with VA Form 21-0960P-2

this 30% is they gave with an IMO. and yes I will appeal.

12 hours ago, gousto0731 said:

Thank you . I used a private DR. and his assistant and they both agreed my diagnosis of MDD chronic recurrent /

PTSD with GAF of 45 . I submitted my IMO from my Doctors with VA Form 21-0960P-2

this 30% is they gave with an IMO. and yes I will appeal.

I am rated at 70% for MDD, permanent.  Sounds like the DAV guy was full of crap.  

gawd. You think the VSO's are worse than the VA ...

'I'm too busy surfing the internet to bother with YOUR problems'

The 'Basket' of everything connected to the VA makes it very easy to get negative.

I swore I read something different, somewhere, here's what I did find:

III.iv.4.H.1.k.  Removal of the GAF Score From DSM and Assigning Evaluations Based on Prior GAF Score

A Global Assessment of Functioning (GAF) score is a number between 0 and 100 representing an assessment of an individual’s overall level of psychological, social, and occupational functioning.  The GAF score was part of the multi-axial analysis used in prior versions of DSM.  DSM-5 no longer uses the GAF score.

Notes:
  • The removal of the GAF score in DSM does not change the application of the Rating Schedule.  It merely alters the format in which diagnostic information is presented.
  • When assigning an evaluation based on psychological assessments made under prior versions of DSM
    • do not base the disability evaluation solely or primarily on the GAF score.
    • evaluate the score in light of all the evidence in the case, including symptomatology and manifestations in examination reports (to include Disability Benefits Questionnaires (DBQs)) and treatment records.