Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

How is bilateral disability percentages calculated?

Rate this question

Navyguy2013

Question

How does the rating of bilateral work when it comes to calculating a VA disability percentage?

Example: (MILD) Paralysis of: Upper radicular group (fifth and sixth cervicals), both right and left hands/fingers have mild radiculopathy.

When figuring out the disability percentage for this, does this equate to 20% for the left side and 20% for the right side and when both sides are added together this comes to 39.6%.

Or does this equate to only 20% for both sides which comes out to 22%?

• Answers 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Popular Days

Top Posters For This Question

5 answers to this question

• Founder

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

Tbird,

Thanks! So each side that is effected still receives its own disability percentage.I was not sure if they both got combined into one. The link you provided will come in very useful!

Thanks again! 

• Founder

happy to assist

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

That's the best calculator I've seen yet. Therefore, the math never gets anyone a rating of 100% unless he has a 100% disability (One).  The only other way is being rounded up, or is considered unemployable?

https://microhealthllc.com/bilateral-va-disability-rating-compensation-calculator/

This is the calculator I use.  It counts your bilaterals first and then the rest of your disabilities and for me it even lets me add my spousal A&A for my wife.

And you can print it out.

Hamslice

“There is no hook my friend. There's only what we do.”  Doc Holiday