VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DD-214-215 Army Review Board of military corrections

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I been trying to get my 214 straighten out  and sent them all the records I had  but none was my Germany Military Service  I just found some old medical records/copy  in my C-FILE where I was treated for the flu and some other kind of Bronchitis...from  the dispensary  clinic on the compound where I was station...47/48 YEARS AGO

It has my name  service # and my unit I was with and location & what I was being treated for and the Dr's name rank!

could this be USED as a record to prove my service in Germany?

I had gave them my unit and battalion name I was with and they said that's not enough evidence  its just your lay statement..I wrote them back and said well its the truth  this is where I was...they said without evidence they could not do anything.

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

I process requests like this daily and, unfortunately, the answer is no. While the medical document may show that you were at that post in Germany on that day, it cannot verify that you were assigned there and from what start date to what end date. Also, service in Germany is generally not annotated on the DD 214, so it is not likely it would have been included to begin with.

If you really need to prove you served in Germany, I would suggest you requests your pay stubs from the time period from DFAS as they may show a start and end date based on changes in your locality or other special pay. It's a long shot, but I have had some success in verifying overseas service in this manner. 

Every command in the Navy must submit a monthly Operations Report via message format to Washington D.C.  This information is taken from the command's daily deck log. These deck logs and monthly reports are archived at the Naval History and Heritage Command located at the Washington Navy Yard. There is a request for information process but you have to narrow down the timelines and there is a small fee. I've heard of people actually going there to research a book. I know the other services have a similar archive.

https://www.history.navy.mil/about-us/services-and-policies/deck-log-access.html

Edited by EODCMC
added info

That is true, the Army does have a Unit History archive in DC, however, in this situation it wouldn't help because it does nothing to prove you were assigned there and during what dates. The closest the Army would have to the aforementioned daily deck log are Morning Reports, which can be requested from the Army Human Resources Command, but there again, they have proven next to useless on the rare occasion we were able to locate any. 

Edited by Broken Airman
words and stuff

• HadIt.com Elder

''Germany is generally not annotated on the DD 214, so it is not likely it would have been included to begin with.''

Why is This?

If only I had kept my Itinerary and travel orders from Aberdeen Proving grounds Maryland  to Frankfurt Germany to my unit In Schwetzingen Germany (Tompkins Barracks)  some how I don't have these records anymore. (my own fault) young and dumb back them  single and dingle.  but proud.

I thought the DD-214 was to explain your locations while serving in the US.Military? location name and dates.

other than pay stubs  how else would a veteran prove where he was station?

not only for claims purpose but legal purpose as well   and besides for his grand children to see or great  grand children to see after the Veteran has passed.

DD-214 IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT MILITARY DOCUMENT A VETERAN CAN POSSESS. 

Edited by Buck52

• HadIt.com Elder

After doing some research:

I believe this Tompkins Barracks was closed down back in March 2013 and was given  back to the German Military or the German People.?

but in my opinion records should account for every military personal that was station there during there deployment. morning reports to duty stations.

I have a few names of buddys I knew while there but no address? and have not been in contact with since I left.

Actually all I have on my DD-214 is my Vietnam service/metals, MOS ect,,,ect,,, and the dates are incorrect on it.

It has my entry dates and my release dates.& location of separation...this is what I want corrected.

Edited by Buck52