VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

DD-214-215 Army Review Board of military corrections

Rate this question

Buck52

Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I been trying to get my 214 straighten out  and sent them all the records I had  but none was my Germany Military Service  I just found some old medical records/copy  in my C-FILE where I was treated for the flu and some other kind of Bronchitis...from  the dispensary  clinic on the compound where I was station...47/48 YEARS AGO

It has my name  service # and my unit I was with and location & what I was being treated for and the Dr's name rank!

could this be USED as a record to prove my service in Germany?

I had gave them my unit and battalion name I was with and they said that's not enough evidence  its just your lay statement..I wrote them back and said well its the truth  this is where I was...they said without evidence they could not do anything.

Edited by Buck52

• Answers 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Unfortunately, I don't know why they only list imminent danger pay locations (basically deployments) in block 18 (in your case I believe it would be block 23). Technically, by the reg it is allowable to list all OCONUS assignments, it's just that the transition centers usually can't be bothered unless the Service member insists. Another suggestion for proving service in Germany would be your 2-1, or the citation if you received an ARCOM or AAM for your service time there.

If there are errors on your 214 (and you have copies of documents supporting this), you can send a request (internet search for an SF-180 and be sure to ink sign it) and the supporting docs to the Army Human Resource Command HR Service Center (also an internet search for email and/or phone number). The case will come to myself or another analyst in my section, but be aware that there is a wait of 60-90 business days at minimum (sorry, there's only 7 of us servicing every request type for the entire population of Army veterans, retirees and family members). Hope this helps!

Edited by Broken Airman

The title of your post made me think of this... as a side note to yourself and any others that read this post, please ensure that all (Army) requests for corrections of any sort (with the exception of discharge upgrades) are submitted to Army HRC first. If you go directly to the Army Review Board/Board of Corrections without having been sent there by HRC, your request will sit in the queue, then be closed without action because you have not exhausted all of your administrative remedies. Just an fyi to save time and effort!

Edited by Broken Airman

• HadIt.com Elder

yes I agree

However I do get the response back from the Army review boards of military records.  from Arlington Va.  they are the ones that stated without the correct evidence they could not make a change.

so I think my orginal request was sent in to the HRC

but the other request you could be very will correct  and that's what I think is happening,  the request is just laying there and probably been closed out  b/c I ain't heard a word from anyone in 2 years now.

I think I will just give up  its not that important  but just for family line to see where I served.

Buck,

If you have a DS Logon account (if you use eBenefits, you'll likely have one), you can go over to http://www.hrc.army.mil and logon. On the main page, on the left there is My Records. It'll take you to the log on page. From there select retired/veteran records. You should be able to see your assignments. It'll show dates, UIC, and current location of the unit(if unit is still active). More than likely, your unit will be inactive but you should be able to trace the units history via the UIC. Where to go to trace the UIC, I do not know. But this at least connects the date of service to the unit and get you somewhat closer to your goal.

• HadIt.com Elder

Roger that  bleggett29

I'll do just that

Thank you very much for this Info

Sorry, I have to (again) butt in and say that, most likely, this route won't work for you. You may be able to access your digital service record (if you are one of the lucky few that NPRC has scanned your record in), but the assignment data mentioned may not be available to you. The system we use (Soldier Management System or IWS) has only been in use since 2002, so most non-retirees that were discharged prior to then do not have a profile and, therefore, service data is not maintained. Also, having the UIC doesn't help in your situation because, again, it is unit information, not your specific assignment information. I apologize for being such a negative Nancy, but I have dealt with situations like these so may times over the last 7 years that I prefer to be honest about how difficult a case will be rather than give false hope. I am, however, in no way saying it's impossible or that you shouldn't try, just being realistic!