VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Should I attempt 100% TDIU or 100% Service-Connected?

Rate this question

Freddiethornton423

Question

Hello, and thank you for reading. 

I have a question regarding my Veteran's Affairs rating and whether I should pursue a 100% unemployable rating due to mental illness since I received benefits in 2010. 

In 01/2010 I was awarded 100% permanent and total non-service connected disability from the VA due to a bi-polar disorder. I felt this was unfair as I entered the military in good mental and physical health, and experienced hazing in the military to the level I have developed a schizo-affective disorder. 

After many years of fighting the VA for service-connected recognition, I was granted a 70% service-connected disability in 2014 due to having a schizo-affective disorder. I cannot work, I have sever anxiety, bi-polar, paranoia, and other issues that just go up and down, regardless of what medication my doctor keeps putting me on. I've been hospitalized for suicide attempts MANY times since 2010. 

Is it worth hiring a lawyer or VSO to attempt the rating increase, or is it too risky after all of the fighting just for 70% in the event of a decrease because a doctor is having a bad day and just doesn't like me?

Hi all,

I just saw an update so fast on my VA claim for unemployable and increase from 70% service connected to either 100% or IU.

First thing, is that my status went from "Under Review" to preparation for decision.

Second thing, I used to have a C&P exam requested for 2018, and now when I check eBenefits, there are no C&P requests on the list at all.

Thirdly, they are also seeking a copy of my service treatment records. Why would they want these since I have already been deemed service-connected at my last C&P in 2014

Does this mean anything at the moment? During the preparation for decision phase, has the VA reviewed my files and determined at this point that I do not need a C&P, because I'm unsure why my 2018 C&P request is gone and I've moved to Preparation for Decision so quickly.

Edited by Freddiethornton423