VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Hearing loss

Rate this question

Marinr23

Question

I recently went to the VA for hearing aids. I was denied comp. They said that I had a hearing loss at time  I entered the Marine Corps. When I went back to pick up my hearing aids, I took a copy of my induction record of my hearing, I asked the doctor to explain it to me. The first words out of her mouth was, "How did you get through school"! Any suggestions on how to appeal original decision.

4 answers to this question

That's BS sell it to someone else i went for a C&P for my tinnitus and he said my hearing was bad but at my entrance exam in the marines was the bad as well we came up with I had an ear infection that day and he showed me how three years later how it was better and then bad again after 5 years as a sheet metal airframes on 53s. He opined I was exposed to daily loud noises such as rivet hammers and air tools which caused my tinnitus. As an aircraft mechanic easy to find examples of loud exposures,  So if I had to guess if your MOS had you exposed to loud daily noises what was your billet? Can you find some examples to show yes you were exposed? Really any billet has some form of loud noises you just have to look back and see what they maybe... Give more details of your Mos even the administrative guys working at the desks eventually deployed with us and rode in c-130s which are extremely loud with no hearing protection provided.

Edited by jfrei

Go back to the Basics.  Service connection can be granted when the caluza elements are met.  

1. Current diagnosis of hearing loss. 

2. In service event OR AGGRAVATION. 

3.   Nexus or your audiologist opinion that your hearing loss is "at least as likely as not" due to excessive noise in service.   (In your case, your audiologist would need to opine that your hearing loss was worsened during service).   

This should not be difficult:  Look on your prior to service audio report and see what the numbers are.  Take this report to the audiologist, and ask for another test.  You can get an independent audiologist to test your ears, almost always for free.  Just ask.  Have the audiologist look at the prior service, and give an opinion that your loud noises in service "at least as likely as not" caused your hearing to worsen during service.  

You had to have a "minimum" of hearing loss at your in service physical.  Does this physical note your hearing loss?  If it does not, then you are good to go.  

Remember, VA LOVES denials, and they especially love bogus denials.  You have to appeal 80 percent of the time to get your benefits.  

My advice is to get your records and appeal.  I wont my hearing loss claim, but only upon appeal.    Mine was denied in 2002 because it was "too long since military service".  That is a bogus denial..the length of time since military service is not one of the criteria, and they must rate you on the criteria.  They can not deny you based on non criteria, such as a denial because you have purple hair.  Its irrelevant.  

It may make a difference as to your MOS.  If you were some type of gunner, it should be a no brainer.  If you had a MOS that was not "noisey" such as anything to do with aircraft, guns, or other loud equipment, it will be tougher.  However, I am pretty sure ALL marines must qualify shooting.  Unlike the movie "Hacksaw Ridge", all Marines are trained with guns.  

My daughter in law is an MD, and SHE had to qualify with a weapon in the service.  Doctor or no doctor.  She did not get live fire weapons training in the military, but she still had to qualify.  

Actually my son, who helped recruits qualify with their weapon, trained her how to shoot and qualify.  She made it the first time, listening to my son.