VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

VA Disability Claims Articles

Ask Your VA Claims Question | Current Forum Posts Search | Rules | View All Forums
VA Disability Articles | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

What happens when a vet with an Other Than Honorable discharge is rated at 100% Total & Permanent based off an earlier service period?

Rate this question

xBLAKKx

Question

Do they qualify for a retiree ID?

Do they qualify for PX & Commissary privileges? 

Do they qualify for state benefits for being rated 100% P&T? Even if their DD-214 states Other Than Honorable?

What does your decision say?  Does it say you are "eligible for Chapter 35 DEA benefits"?  If so, then you are good to go for all those things.  You can also look in your "letters" section of ebenfits, it will let you know.  

If the VA has made a Character of Service determination that makes a OTH vet eligible for VA benefits and health care, the veteran can expect to rece8ive those benefits.

I helped with 2-3 OTH vets get SCed.

I think they had to aopply for a new DD215 via a DD 149- but not sure.

I think your newsSC status would makeyou eligible for either CRDP and CRSC....as a retiree.searchable here 

"they qualify for a retiree ID?

Do they qualify for PX & Commissary privileges? 

Do they qualify for state benefits for being rated 100% P&T? Even if their DD-214 states Other Than Honorable?"

Yes in my opinion to all of above first three  questions, but that will require the new DD214 or a DD215. Did the decision have any info on the new Discharge Papers?

You have 2 choices:  Wait for the letter (good choice), or you can try printing out your letter by logging into ebenefits.  (also not a bad choice if you have an ebenefits premium account).  The letter in ebenfits will grant you access to the base, providing you have been awarded 100 percent P and T.  I can not recall if you need your dd214, but you do need the letter which grants commissary priveledges on post.  You have to take this letter to the post, and some other forms of Id (probably a birth certificate, drivers license or passport) and you can then obtain an id which permits on post access to MWR.  MWR is things like access to the base exchange, the commissary, and even things like access to the wood shop, gym, and more, depending on which of these, if any, is available at your nearby post.  My post has all these things and more: Travel, such as discount tickets to Disneyland, a movie theatre, and discounted alcoholic beverage store.  They also have a fabalous wood shop with many tools, an auto shop, and you can use these at a very low cost or free, but you may have to demonstrate you know how to use these tools so you dont injure yourself or others.  

In San Diego, I could "check out" a small motor boat, but that was years ago and Im unaware if they still allow that or not.  

I estimate the wood shop has 1/4 million or more worth of tools.  Several nice table saws, a jig for making dovetails (such as for drawers), a sander that sands both sides of a board up to about 15 inches wide, Thickness planer, jointers, Lathes, routers, thousands of dollars worth of hundreds of router bits and drill bits.  My cousin had a counter top shop and this shop would put it to shame.  The shop is probably 100 feet by 100 feet, full of huge expensive Industrail grade  tools...almost all of which are working.  Ditto for the auto shop.  I think the auto shop has a tool which will turn your brake drums, but Im sure you have to be checked out to make sure you know how to use it.  Oh, the auto shop has dozens of lifts so you can raise your car and work on it.  These cost Tens of thousands of dollars each.  

Edited by broncovet

6 hours ago, broncovet said:

What does your decision say?  Does it say you are "eligible for Chapter 35 DEA benefits"?  If so, then you are good to go for all those things.  You can also look in your "letters" section of ebenfits, it will let you know.  

The decision notification letter hasn't arrived yet but my VSO called me to tell me what's going on and suggested that I try to go get an ID card made for myself and my dependents but wasn't sure if it would work for me due to my DD-214. eBenefits shows that my dependents are eligible for the education assistance program and whenever I generate a benefits letter it says that I'm total and permanent.  

On 6/20/2017 at 3:05 PM, broncovet said:

You have 2 choices:  Wait for the letter (good choice), or you can try printing out your letter by logging into ebenefits.  (also not a bad choice if you have an ebenefits premium account).  The letter in ebenfits will grant you access to the base, providing you have been awarded 100 percent P and T.  I can not recall if you need your dd214, but you do need the letter which grants commissary priveledges on post.  You have to take this letter to the post, and some other forms of Id (probably a birth certificate, drivers license or passport) and you can then obtain an id which permits on post access to MWR.  MWR is things like access to the base exchange, the commissary, and even things like access to the wood shop, gym, and more, depending on which of these, if any, is available at your nearby post.  My post has all these things and more: Travel, such as discount tickets to Disneyland, a movie theatre, and discounted alcoholic beverage store.  They also have a fabalous wood shop with many tools, an auto shop, and you can use these at a very low cost or free, but you may have to demonstrate you know how to use these tools so you dont injure yourself or others.  

In San Diego, I could "check out" a small motor boat, but that was years ago and Im unaware if they still allow that or not.  

I estimate the wood shop has 1/4 million or more worth of tools.  Several nice table saws, a jig for making dovetails (such as for drawers), a sander that sands both sides of a board up to about 15 inches wide, Thickness planer, jointers, Lathes, routers, thousands of dollars worth of hundreds of router bits and drill bits.  My cousin had a counter top shop and this shop would put it to shame.  The shop is probably 100 feet by 100 feet, full of huge expensive Industrail grade  tools...almost all of which are working.  Ditto for the auto shop.  I think the auto shop has a tool which will turn your brake drums, but Im sure you have to be checked out to make sure you know how to use it.  Oh, the auto shop has dozens of lifts so you can raise your car and work on it.  These cost Tens of thousands of dollars each.  

I am 100% P&T PTSD and Honorable for VA purposes. Have chap 35 but there is not a Commissary letter in m ebenefits. Never could figure it out and do not live close to a Commissary. Now you do not need a DOD ID and you can use your VHIC instead. I tried getting verified with VA>gov and thely would not do it but shopmyexchange had no problem opening an account for me and I shop online. I have never got a straight answer and my own county denies me benefits because my DD 214 says Other than Honorable. I wish I could make that lady at the county va office eat her words. I have been having her tell me no since 1999. Even went before the County board and they just deferred to her. I have experienced almost as much trauma from the VA county  and VA Federal. I hate going to the VA. But generally I really feel the persecution from that lady at the county VA.

Wish they were more clear about what Honorable for VA purposes means.

Welcome to hadit, Mklouda.  You have come to the right place.  

Please ask your question in a new post, you will get more and better answers.  Just this ONE TIME, I will try to offer my help, since you are new.  

My advice is as follows:

1.  If you want to upgrade your discharge, then contact NVLSP.  https://www.nvlsp.org/what-we-do/lawyers-serving-warriors/assistance-with-discharge-upgrades-for-veterans-from-all-eras/?gclid=CjwKCAjwp-X0BRAFEiwAheRui0tw1gpU6qskYLQCKpY3B-DBWtFD74Febt66IOhjClQVqP-G50eeshoCU40QAvD_BwEI

2.  If your problem is "the lady at the county VSO", I simply suggest another VSO office.  Most VAMC's also have VSO's available.  Or do what many hadit members do, and fire their VSO and self represent.  

3.  As far as using the commissary, it sounds like you dont live there, so that may not be that important.  I live 4 miles from my commissary, and rarely go there.  They add a "service fee" to the listed prices..probably about 5 or 6 percent.  So, its not as cheap as you think, after you add on the fees.  

4.  You posted:  

I have experienced almost as much trauma from the VA county  and VA Federal. I hate going to the VA. But generally I really feel the persecution from that lady at the county VA.

I get that..rude employees are everywhere..in VA, at mcdonalds, on the phone, etc.  It almost sounds like you are holding a grudge, that rarely gets you what you seek.  One way to deal with it is dont go back there, travel somewhere else such as your VAMC and use the VSO there.  But a better way is to forgive that person..you dont want to go around harboring hate.."especially when" they deserve it.  While this person may well deserve your wrath, you probably dont.  Hating on others is like taking poison yourself, and expecting your enemies to die.  It wont work.  So, forgive this lady, not for her benefit, but for yours.