Jump to content
  • Donation Box

    Please donate to support the community.
    We appreciate all donations!
  • Advertisemnt

  • 14 Questions about VA Disability Compensation Benefits Claims


    When a Veteran starts considering whether or not to file a VA Disability Claim, there are a lot of questions that he or she tends to ask. Over the last 10 years, the following are the 14 most common basic questions I am asked about ...
    Continue Reading
  • Ads

  • Most Common VA Disabilities Claimed for Compensation:   


  • Advertisemnt

  • Advertisemnt

  • Ads

  • Can a 100 percent Disabled Veteran Work and Earn an Income?

    employment 2.jpeg

    You’ve just been rated 100% disabled by the Veterans Affairs. After the excitement of finally having the rating you deserve wears off, you start asking questions. One of the first questions that you might ask is this: It’s a legitimate question – rare is the Veteran that finds themselves sitting on the couch eating bon-bons … Continue reading

Sponsored Ads

  •  ad-free-subscription-002.jpeg     fund-the-site.jpg

  • Searches Community Forums, Blog and more

Sign in to follow this  

Backdated Claim Awarded; Do i get my co-pays refunded?

Recommended Posts

Situation is I just got 50% + 10%.

I understand that puts me in priority group one. Further, I understand VA treatment and med co-pays are waived.

1. Do I understand correctly?

2. Will they refund everything back to my grant date- ITF late 2015?

Furthermore, can I get the cost for IMO/IME refunded, that I used to get the award?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites



Sounds like you are definitely Priority# 1!

This is the new co pay criteria


I would think you could ask for a refund of any past co pays that fell into the 50% EED.

And PS Congrats!!!!!!

If you are a retiree -lifer , check out the CRDP CRSC info here.


Edited by Berta
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.  In our VAMC you go to a special guy to apply.  He is located near "travel pay" in our VAMC.  It may be the same people who do something called a "needs test".  (I think they changed the name of "needs test", but I dont know what they changed it to.)  

The needs test is how VA establishes and collects co pays.  In a nutshell if you make a lot of money, and still use VA and are not service connected, then you have to pay a co pay on prescriptions.  

However, if you make very little, or are service connected, then you dont have co pays.  Read Berta's link for more details on that.  

I went to him, and he applied for all my back copays.  I took my new VARO decision awarding benefits with me.  About a month or two months later, I got a check for over $1000, but I dont remember the exact amount.  

The VA had "taken" my copays out of my tax refund check, as I could not afford them.  I got all that back.  I had no idea VA could take that money out of our tax refunds.  But they do.  

So, you may have been paying copays and not even known you are paying copays. 

Edited by broncovet
  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, DMC (Debt Management Center) in St. Paul will send delinquent VA debts to TOP (Treasury Offset Program). From there it can go to private collections or private :(

VA Hospital has it's own system before it goes to DMC

Private will jack the actual amount way up and, well, you can guess the rest ...

  • Like 1

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Ads

  • Ad

  • Latest News
  • Our picks

    • I filed for my mitral valve regurgitation heart disease secondary to a service-connected condition on 7-30-18. It was granted on 8-30-18. Since I filed for this heart valve issue and was awarded, can I still file for hypertension ? I have been seeing comments that you should file for hypertension first and file for heart disease as a secondary. Can I file for hypertension as a secondary to my heart disease ? I am alittle confused on this matter.

    • How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      How to Change the Theme - Look and Colors
      • 5 replies
    • For Calculating Retro

      VA Disability Compensation Rates 2012 | 2011 | 2010-2009 | 2008 | 2007 | 2006 | 2005 | 2004 | 2003 | 2002 | 2001 | 2000 | 1999

      Prior to 1999 check here https://www.hadit.com/va-disability-compensation-rates-historic-for-retro-calculation/
      • 0 replies
    • I am a 100% disabled veteran, At first I was super excited to find out I am getting retro pay for back benefits to 2006. But that was over 2 months ago. I been waiting and waiting and calling to ask them wheres my back pay. They first told me "one month" than I call again. The guy started reading a script of basically "we are malingering on paying you" type crap. I was wondering if there is any number I can call besides that 800-827-1000 number to inquire about my status. I don't know why its taken so long when there is specific information telling them from the judge that VA owes. 

      There was a remanded to see if I was eligible for IU (I get it now since 2014 im actually 90% with 10 of that been IU). I been on SS since 2004. Can Someone help me out? Thank you
      • 6 replies
    • You might have a 38 CFR 3.156 situation-

      meaning the VA might have considered your claim in 95/96 as "not well grounded" and failed to even get your STRs.Or they did get your STRs but never considered the specific entry you cited here.

      Lots of discussion under a search, of 38 CFR. 3.156 (a)(b) (c) ---here is a winner:



        • Thanks

Important Information

{terms] and Guidelines