VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

File as primary or secondary condition(s)?

Rate this question

allansc2005

Question

Got a veteran who was awarded P&T IU for various spine, knee, leg conditions, including spinal stenosis.

The veteran was just awarded for  secondary conditions that include radiculopathy of the sciatic nerve, radiculopathy of the upper and lower radicular group(of nerves), of the upper and lower spine.

Veteran has an appointment to see his urologist for both ED, as well as an Over Active Bladder-OAB, both of which are just now starting to occur.

It's already known that ED is awarded as SMC K, and not given a particular rating, but how about OAB?

Given the secondary conditions awarded, does the veteran file ED and OAB as primary or secondary conditions?

Thanks,

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Top Posters For This Question

I agree, secondaries are easier to claim as the condition you are claiming against has already been service connected.

I will ad however, the VA is a pig in the poke sometimes.  I filed a claim for three secondaries to three seperate service connected disabilities.  Two were granted service connected secondary.  The third one was granted as a "new condition" service connected.  Not sure  how that happens?

Also, secondaries are where the money is for someone like me.  I was service connected for hypertension at 0% because controlled by meds, filed two years later for heart disease secondary to hypertension and was granted service connection at 30%.

I believe when I filed for HBP, I should have filed for heart disease instead and let them sort it out back then.  Broncovet gave me that advise for later claims and it has worked out great.

Live and learn,

Hamslice

PS Anyone with a rating for hypertension should immediatly file for heart disease secondary.  Because your left ventricle is probably enlarged and that's 30% by the x-ray alone.  Just sayin..

Hamslice, the veteran got all 4 secondary awards we filed for, however, since the vet was already P&T IU, he didn't get any retro, but he's now at 90% scheduler, instead of 80% a few months ago.

Now he's suffering from ED and an over-active bladder(OAB), which from what I've read, can be attributed to his SC spinal stenosis, radiculopathy of the upper and lower spine and extremities.

Now what we are waiting for is his exam from the urologist to confirm the ED, as she already diagnosed him with OAB.

Now the big question is how do we file the ED and OAB, as primary or secondary, in your opinion?

Allan

2-2-0 HUAH!