Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SAH/SHA Grant Quick Turnaround to Pending Decision Approval. Good or bad thing?

Rate this question

mbl22885

Question

On 08/07/17 I applied for the housing grants and my claim is already at pending decision approval, so I'm not really sure what to make of the quick turnaround.

I am rated 100% P and T with SMC L for PTSD, 40% for Fibromyalgia, 10% for left elbow lateral epicondylitis with painful motion of the forearm,  10% for left elbow lateral epicondylitis with painful motion of the elbow, and 0% for IBS.  (Yep,  as the blue shows, I'm copy and pasting from ebenefits)

When I applied, I included this statement:

"I had a compensation and pension exam for Fibromyalgia (among other issues) with a Dr. X on 08/12/2015. 

Dr. X findings from this exam led to a rating of 40% from the VBA. 40% is the highest value the VA will place on Fibromyalgia, despite as noted in Dr. X exam that my condition exhibits widespread musculoskeletal pain and tender points, with fatigue, sleep disturbance, stiffness, irritable bowel symptoms, depression, and anxiety that are constant, or nearly so, and refractory to therapy. 
As X exam explicitly states, "vet has daily pain in all large muscle groups limiting any exertional
 activiites." These large muscle groups most certainly include those found in the arms and legs. 
Also, as it is noted in the exam and VBA criteria for a 40% rating, the Fibromyalgia must be "refractory to therapy," which essentially means "incurable," so in other words, my Fibromyalgia is permanent."

Any opinions on the quick turn around and what the possible reason is? 

IMG_0938.PNG

21319289_10159289598945273_1938832345143901158_o.jpg

21318991_10159289598940273_9220434879190216395_o.jpg

21368927_10159289900510273_4310767746263296757_o.jpg

21427199_10159289900490273_5095713946192975832_o.jpg

IMG_1204.JPG

Edited by mbl22885

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

I was denied a housing grant because I was told that since I was not missing legs and was not in an iron lung the VA would just wait until I fell down and broke a hip.  The VA denied me so fast and I get "S" and have PN in all four limbs and chronic pain disorder.  I got the strong impression that unless I was helpless no housing grant.

27 minutes ago, john999 said:

I was denied a housing grant because I was told that since I was not missing legs and was not in an iron lung the VA would just wait until I fell down and broke a hip.  The VA denied me so fast and I get "S" and have PN in all four limbs and chronic pain disorder.  I got the strong impression that unless I was helpless no housing grant.

john999, 

functionallossofuse-page-001.thumb.jpg.a96082931274a6e0259a08b4d0b7acf6.jpg

The SAH/SHA grant is basically dependent on loss of OR loss of use in the extremities. I faced the same problem you did, which was/is the VA not recognizing pain,fatigue,weakness, etc as loss of use. Per the information contained in the picture above, the VA is required to recognize the symptoms we experience with our conditions as functional loss (i.e. loss of use.) If you still have the decision letter concerning your claim for a housing grant, I'd suggest you check it to make sure they didn't apply the above pictured information to your claim. If they didn't, you have a CUE claim. 

You have a CUE concerning the decision regarding your claim for a housing grant as it's a pretty safe bet that whoever made your determination did not consider the info above when making your decision. 

If you have a VSO, they're probably not going to be able, or willing, to help you. I'm not sure on how to properly file a CUE claim at the Regional Office level, but hopefully someone with experience with that will chime in. 

The Directors Office phone # for the St. Pete VARO is 727-319-5900. I would call them and tell them your situation, as well as that you understand according to "The provisions of 38 CFR 4.40 and 4.45 concerning functional loss due to pain, fatigue, weakness, or lack of endurance, incooordination, and flare-ups, as cited in Deluca v. Brown and Mitchell v. Shinseki" your housing grant claim was decided in error due to the rater of your housing grant not considering and applying the above under 38 CFR 4.59.