VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Click To Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles   View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Videoconference Hearing Questions

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I sent in a Form 9 and VA sent me back a Letter saying I have been put on a waiting list to appear at RO VA office for a Veteran Law Judge to hear my Appeal via a Videoconference Hearing.  It stated BVA can often schedule Videoconference hearings more quickly than in person Travel Board hearings.  My two questions are to anyone here who (1) had a Videoconference hearing at their RO......how long did it take to get the hearing date after getting the VA letter saying now on a waiting list. and (2) did the Veteran Law Judge award Appeals on the spot during the Hearing, or was it done after the Hearing session?   Thanks for any help to Q's. 

Edited by Wayne TX
typos

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne I never had a video conference hearing  but check this link out by Attorney Chris Attig

He gives some awesome pointers in case you get a ''Bully Judge''

https://www.veteranslawblog.org/bva-judge/

• HadIt.com Elder

Bump Bump

Your welcome Wayne,

I take it that not many member here have had a video conference Hearing.?

If anyof you hadit members have been through one of these type hearing   come on help Wayne out here  speak up.

bump bump bump

Wayne,About the only Advise I can give you is when you do have your video conference  you will be informed by your R.O. Staff  how this is conducted before it starts up, and you can ask them question.

Once the video starts the Judge will introduce him/her self and let you know how he/she will conduct the hearing  and they will ask you if you can hear them ok and let you know your rights as to formal or informal hearing &the difference between the two ect,,ect,,,, after that just be honest and speak loud and clear. 

Try your best not to be nervous or let it show , just relax and keep in the back of your mind  this is my chance to get my claim finally approved and I'm going to do my best here  and I am not going to be intimidated  and present my case to this Judge the best way I can.

Remember this Judge is there to help you with your case and just lay it all out there.

Its not as bad as you might think  just relax while your there  and think clearly and you will do fine buddy.

Good Luck!

Thanks for the tips and encouragement Buck....your the best.   As I understand a video conference is done the same exact way as an in-person DRO Hearing except a Judge is at the the other end of the video screen sitting in Washingtion DC.   It will also take place at my regional VA in Waco.  They said in a Letter it  could happen sooner with a Video Conference than the in-person Hearing.......how much sooner seems to be an unknown.  Yes, if any here have had a video conference I'd like to get your comments.   Thanks.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne I found this  ..it may help you some/

Videoconference Hearing

When you have a videoconference hearing, the Veterans Law Judge is in the hearing room in Washington D.C. and you and/or your representative are in a conference room at your local VA office. Another option is for your attorney to be with the judge in D.C. while you are in the VA office.

The same sign-in system will be used as with travel board and D.C. hearings. You will sign in at your regional office. When it comes time for your hearing, you and your representative, if present, will be brought into a conference room. There may be someone there to provide technical assistance with the equipment. There will be a large monitor on which you will see the Veterans Law Judge.

Special Videoconference Hearing

If you are so disabled that it is a hardship to travel to your local VA office for the hearing, it is possible to arrange a special videoconference hearing at your home. The VA can provide you with equipment to use in your home; your attorney and any witnesses can be at the VA office, and the judge can be in D.C. This will only be permitted, however, if it is virtually impossible for you to get to the VA office or it would cause you a significant hardship to do so. If you need a special videoconference hearing, be sure to request it well in advance

Source : NOLO

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne,

I believe all videoconferencing are set as ''informal'' which is a good thing I would think.  think of it as just being there with the judge and the judge is there to listen to you and as you or your Rep presents your case.

Informal ,you can Relax better and the language bearer is more spoken so you can understand it better  and the judge might say things like  ''I would rather be fishing or playing a round of golf ''  ect,,ect,,,

You say'(Yes Sir Judge I her that) if the judge is veteran friendly  I think your going to do just fine....especially if you start off with good conversation with the Judge.

Remember this Judge probably has 4 or 5 more Viedos Conf to do on this day  so keep your casual  conversations short and concentrate more on your case and evidence presented.

you might even practice at home with the things you need to tell the judge  also write them down on  paper and take with you to the Hearing as to give you some reminders  its hard to remember every detail you need to say.

I know I would have too have some notes to remind me. but as long as your evidence is probative there should be no problems.