Read Disability Claims Articles 
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Videoconference Hearing Questions

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I sent in a Form 9 and VA sent me back a Letter saying I have been put on a waiting list to appear at RO VA office for a Veteran Law Judge to hear my Appeal via a Videoconference Hearing.  It stated BVA can often schedule Videoconference hearings more quickly than in person Travel Board hearings.  My two questions are to anyone here who (1) had a Videoconference hearing at their RO......how long did it take to get the hearing date after getting the VA letter saying now on a waiting list. and (2) did the Veteran Law Judge award Appeals on the spot during the Hearing, or was it done after the Hearing session?   Thanks for any help to Q's. 

Edited by Wayne TX
typos

• Answers 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Wayne   I had a video conference hearing, 2014. It took about 9 months from the time I received the letter putting me on the waiting list.  And it took about 90 days after the hearing to get the results (favorably).  I went to the video conference hearing with my rep, from the Veterans of Foreign Wars.  If you have a rep, us him.  They will have you come to the hearing about and hour before the actual tele-conference to brief you, and put you at ease.  It is a very informal hearing.  The judge will try to put you at ease, and the beginning, probably knowing you and others are a little nervous.  Just explain to them what your case is about, and they will ask you question.  Please note Wayne they are not there to "trip you up" or make it  difficult for you.  They are really concerned, and what you to tell them what is the situation.  My tele-conference lasted about 90 minutes.  Which is probably a little longer then most usually 60-75 minutes, maybe even shorter.  I really felt good after the tele-conference, and my rep, said I did a "terrific job".  As the tele-conference was going on, I felt really at ease talking to the judge, explaining my situation.  The judge is there to get your facts, Wayne.  He wants to make sure he has all the information  necessary.  This is not like a court case, where you have one side trying to discredit you.  Nothing like that at all.

Greats tips and advice as always Buck....much appreciated.   I have strong evidence to present for Sleep Apnea and sinus increase so I feel pretty good.  I like the fact it is a Judge as they can rule faster as I understand. 

• HadIt.com Elder

yes and you may be very suprised as to what they rate you  I think you will either get a 100% scheduled rating  or TDIU P&T

if you get P&T Be sure to read your Award letter  close  they should infer you the SMC S H.B. if your disability keeps you from working and they  rate it static  with no future exams schedule and not expected to improve within your life time.

If the Judge don't let you know  it will be hard for you to wait and not know,..find ya a good Hobby buddy  things like this will sure drive you batty.

Again good Luck at your V.C. Hearing.

Jimmer............thank you....very informative and helpful information there............where was the RO for your VideoConference Hearing ?     Having to wait only 9 months was pretty fast  so I guess opting for a VideoConference does happen sooner than an in-perpon RO Hearing.   I would be tickled to get a date even within a year of the Letter saying been put on waiting list.  90 days is not that long to wait on the results either.......BTW congrats on your favorable award. 

Wayne, Maybe I was lucky to wait only nine months.  The VA will send you a letter about a month before the video conference telling you the time and place.  It is usually in the VA building, mine was in Phoenix, Az.  I was using the Veterans of Foreign Wars to help me with my filings.  They also received a copy of the letter, told me like Buck said, bring in notes, files that will support your case.  The main thing is to have the information handy if the judge asks you any questions.  It was just my rep and myself, in a conference room with the judge on a large TV screen.  Main thing is to be relaxed as much as possible, and tell him the situation.  Concentrate on your case, problems.   Try not to vent, because that will just waste time.  The judge has a pretty good idea, that you are upset with the situation, having to go all the way to a BVA conference.  So the more you provide the facts, the stronger your case will be.  You will find Wayne, the judge is a reasonable man.  He is not looking for something to "trip you up", and deny benefits.  Just present the information,  be confident and it should go very smoothly.  If you have someone you wish to bring into the conference wife, etc. I believe you can.  It is very informal, the hearing. 

Jimmer....very good info provided there.  I really appreciate the advice.   I do have one more question.....since I filed  my NODs I have obtained two IMOs to present as N&M evidence in support of my Appeals..........the Judge, of course, would not be aware of this as I have been told not to send anymore evidence until my actual Hearing Date as that would only delay the timeline to be seen for a Hearing date.  That said.......does the Judge ask that any N&M evidence be sent to him when they notify me about the VC Hearing date, so he's able to see the new evidence sumbmissions himself in real time?  Or, does he just ask to be sent the N&M evidence right after the Hearing is completed.?  Thanks.