VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read VA Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Other Side Of Service Connected Disability Compensation – Mental And Emotional

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

The other side of service connected disability compensation – Mental and Emotional

Brothers and Sisters –Welcome Home! Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for your part in hadit.com’s success. Claims for service connected disability compensation can be a very trying to the veteran and those around them. As you go through the process of applying for disability compensation and do not be mistaken for the vast majority of veterans it is a process and not a thing. Processes take time and resources from the veteran who has probably reached a point where there resources are very low. This information is for you the veteran going through the process, based on my personal experience and years of creating this website and listening to veterans stories. Though the following is directed to the veteran, there is a whole book that could be written on the toll it takes on the veterans family and friends. Probably another book on the effect to veterans advocates. In the end though I am one of you a veteran, a bit broken, but chugging along.

1. Do Not Neglect Your Health! Following your claims from beginning to end can and does consume many veterans. Keep in mind that you are in the claims process because something serious has gone wrong with your health, if it is a physical disability be aware that it will almost always drag you down a bit emotional y, cause extra stress and frustration so if you are seeing someone for your physical disability and you begin to feel the stress is more than you can deal with, be sure to ask your service provider for some help getting a therapist or getting into a group that will help you let off the steam. If it is your mental health, then you are probably already seeing a therapist or have had some kind of mental health help, use this as your support system you will need it. The question of service officers is constantly debated pros and cons, it is my personal opinion that it is always a good idea to have a service officer, consider your service officer as one of many tools you have at your disposal for completing the claims process. Please take care of your mental health, if you are having problems get help. The added stress of the claims process is very difficult for a veteran whose mental resources have been depleted to the point where they need to file a claim. I like to think of it as a safety net, I have walked the tight rope without a net and the fall is quite unpleasant. So if I fall now I know there is a net below that will catch me, I may bounce a bit and rest there a bit, but I will be able to get up again and climb the ladder and start the walk again. I want the same for you.

2. Compensation vs. Validation – You can get compensation from the V.A., but rarely will you receive validation for what you have gone through. If you want validation got to therapy, get in a group of veterans with similar interests or problems as yourself. Don’t let the lack of validation from the V.A. or for that matter the military push your buttons. Remember go to the V.A. for compensation and seek your validation elsewhere. My two cents.

3. Bringing your claim to a successful conclusion can be a life changing event for many veterans and their families. Give yourself to time to get use to it, don’t be surprised if it seems a bit anti-climatic, many veterans feel this - it will pass. Emotional ups and downs after a successful claim are normal, so just be aware of this and if possible try not to make any life changing decisions, including financial during this period. Let yourself level out a bit, you will be fine. On the other hand you may have none of these emotional ups and downs again just my two cents.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it’s helpful.

Tbird

Founder HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran LLC - Founded Jan 20, 1997

HadIt.com Veteran To Veteran | Community Forum | RallyPointFaceBook | LinkedInAbout Me

Time Dedicated to HadIt.com Veterans and my brothers and sisters: 65,700 - 109,500 Hours Over Thirty Years

diary-a-mad-sailor-signature-banner.png

I am writing my memoirs and would love it if you could help a shipmate out and look at it.

I've had a few challenges, perhaps the same as you. I relate them here to demonstrate that we can learn, overcome, and find purpose in life.

The stories can be harrowing to read; they were challenging to live. Remember that each story taught me something I would need once I found my purpose, and my purpose was and is HadIt.com Veterans.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

• HadIt.com Elder

All Veterans who collect VA Disability paid a price to get it. This is excellant advice about it being a process. The VA does not give its money easily but once you have it they are pretty good at getting your check to you on time. Sometimes its easy to forget that what we are paid is sometimes low to what we could earn if not disabled but the best thing to compare it to is what folks have for retirement and in most cases it shines in my opinion.

Not only did I get a raise from the VA this month I also review my expenses and give myself my own raise by cutting things or getting a vetter deal on things like insurance, electricity, gas and other things that I can cut without a big impact. Funny how a year later I can always find more things I can cut. By cutting my cost on internet, changing my electric carrier, reducing uncecessary travel, tightening food budget and our VA and Social Security increase I have approximately and extra 3000 for 2007. You would be really surprised if you have credit cards how much you can save by paying them off.

Veterans deserve real choice for their health care.

Hello i cant agree more this is a procees to say the least,I have been waiting for thirty years and still no resolve! Frustration heck it has gone to total loss of faith in the system. and thank you for the welcome TBird it is much appreciatted , Hopefully i can use this forum for some direction and assistance with my claim thank you again. Happy New Year B))

I agree with you T-Bird, but I cannot say enough about the validation. Often the case is soldiers, airmen, sailors and marines are discharged with severance pay and no benefits for perfectly acceptable claims that they should have been retired for. Its a tactic the military is using more and more frequently, and they were always heavy with it anyway. Sure you get some change up front, but what about medical for the family, what about the fact that you are trying to deal with the injuries, and cant go to work.... This is so often the case, the vet is down to the last straw before their claim is finally approved.

The branches need to start stepping up and rating their service men and women in accordance with their own regulatory guidance, instead of cutting costs. If they had simply retired me at 50% I probably never would have pursued a VA claim at all. Instead they just made me mad...

When the numerous exams, tests, evaluations, etc. all proved that I had what I was claiming... well then I felt some validation. Now, I get it thru helping others with their claims. Every penny I can wrangle from the VA, for a deserving service member sends a warm fuzzy straight to my heart. It long ago ceased being a cause and now is a crusade. I work more locally with our vets, but I want to point out to folks that if you are near a military post/base you can go to the holding companies and talk to the soldiers/airmen/sailors/marines who are getting the shaft. Asking their commander to speak with them, and getting permission is a must, but I have never been refused. Further, posting a time and place on the board and making it voluntary means that the people you get are truely interested and worried about their future.

Every day, our service members are getting the shaft and so seldom know where to turn. I think we all know how "concerned" the normal VARO, and SO claims rep are. I'll never forget AmVets letter stating that at 40% I had "gotten the compensation that they believed I deserved". I sent my rating of 100% back to them with a nice short letter consisting of mainly 4 letter words. The spouses of the service member suffer right alongside them. Often they know less about the situation than the member does, and dont understand the incredible frustration, worry, etc. that they vet is going thru. It's hell on relationships, and on families. The only thing I can say is kick the VA in the teeth. Dont give up, dont go away, and learn the process. There are people to help, some here, some other places, but advocates are out there working for free and trying to guide someone thru the process. I am going to kick the VA again and again... like I said, its a crusade now.

Bob Smith

Well said sixthcents, I totally agree with you. Now i am going through getting the va to look at my claim. I first submitted a claim on sept 16 06, and when i call the 800#, they dont show any new claims pending. I normally submit my stuff through the DAV, but this time i submitted my info through the san diego RO. Now its just a wait and see on how thing will go

Life is not a battle, but its a war, its the same for the va,

Battles can easily be won or loss, but wars take outstanding planning.

mairne jay

I think that Terry makes a very valid point. It ties into my own experience as well. Personally I only know of the DAV providing ANY training to their personnel. If the others do I am not aware of it. The state VA reps seem to at least try, but if the claim is at all complicated they seem to shy away from it if at all possible. Personally I have used my state reps to follow-up on claims, but have NEVER filed anything thru them. My initial claim was filed by me, with some advice from the AmVets guy over the phone. After that, I started reading CFR 38, and M21-1 as well as searching the web for info. I stumbled across Hadit after I had already pretty much finished my main claim, but I did find out about stuff like the adaptive grants and ILS.

Honestly I cannot imagine how a servicemember who is challenged with computers could hope to file even more than a rudimentary claim. I support Hadit as it is essentially the BEST reference and guidance site I have seen. I personally WOULD NOT use a service rep to file anything. Not after my experience with AmVets. Also it seems that the DAV is almost hand in hand with the VA as well. Look where all their offices are at. I cannot imagine how they would be helpful except to file an initial claim, and even then I have had to go to incredible lengths to correct the junk that they filed incorrectly.

I understand and support the service organizations who fight with congress, That seems to be their major contribution, and in and of itself it is very significant. However, lack of training, resources, and just plane drive. They just dont seem to be concerned on a personal level... thats my take on it anyway.

Bob Smith