VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA   Claims Questions | Read Current Posts 
Read Disability Claims Articles
 Search | View All Forums | Donate | Blogs | New Users | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

The Other Side Of Service Connected Disability Compensation – Mental And Emotional

Rate this question

Tbird

Question

• Founder

The other side of service connected disability compensation – Mental and Emotional

Brothers and Sisters –Welcome Home! Thank you for your service to our country and thank you for your part in hadit.com’s success. Claims for service connected disability compensation can be a very trying to the veteran and those around them. As you go through the process of applying for disability compensation and do not be mistaken for the vast majority of veterans it is a process and not a thing. Processes take time and resources from the veteran who has probably reached a point where there resources are very low. This information is for you the veteran going through the process, based on my personal experience and years of creating this website and listening to veterans stories. Though the following is directed to the veteran, there is a whole book that could be written on the toll it takes on the veterans family and friends. Probably another book on the effect to veterans advocates. In the end though I am one of you a veteran, a bit broken, but chugging along.

1. Do Not Neglect Your Health! Following your claims from beginning to end can and does consume many veterans. Keep in mind that you are in the claims process because something serious has gone wrong with your health, if it is a physical disability be aware that it will almost always drag you down a bit emotional y, cause extra stress and frustration so if you are seeing someone for your physical disability and you begin to feel the stress is more than you can deal with, be sure to ask your service provider for some help getting a therapist or getting into a group that will help you let off the steam. If it is your mental health, then you are probably already seeing a therapist or have had some kind of mental health help, use this as your support system you will need it. The question of service officers is constantly debated pros and cons, it is my personal opinion that it is always a good idea to have a service officer, consider your service officer as one of many tools you have at your disposal for completing the claims process. Please take care of your mental health, if you are having problems get help. The added stress of the claims process is very difficult for a veteran whose mental resources have been depleted to the point where they need to file a claim. I like to think of it as a safety net, I have walked the tight rope without a net and the fall is quite unpleasant. So if I fall now I know there is a net below that will catch me, I may bounce a bit and rest there a bit, but I will be able to get up again and climb the ladder and start the walk again. I want the same for you.

2. Compensation vs. Validation – You can get compensation from the V.A., but rarely will you receive validation for what you have gone through. If you want validation got to therapy, get in a group of veterans with similar interests or problems as yourself. Don’t let the lack of validation from the V.A. or for that matter the military push your buttons. Remember go to the V.A. for compensation and seek your validation elsewhere. My two cents.

3. Bringing your claim to a successful conclusion can be a life changing event for many veterans and their families. Give yourself to time to get use to it, don’t be surprised if it seems a bit anti-climatic, many veterans feel this - it will pass. Emotional ups and downs after a successful claim are normal, so just be aware of this and if possible try not to make any life changing decisions, including financial during this period. Let yourself level out a bit, you will be fine. On the other hand you may have none of these emotional ups and downs again just my two cents.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope it’s helpful.

• Answers 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Trunks,

You stated "hello I am a new menber named Trunks,I wonder why we would even need any service officer to file anything for us"... well nobody does, but thats just not reality. I filed my own claim, not an SO, or the VA or anyone, but...

I am computer literate (even if my spelling is poor, I can use spell checker).

I have read, and comprehend most of CFR 38 and M21-1, as well as the Federal register and the CAVC reports.

I have taken the time to research the web and find places like Hadit, (none quite as good) that offer opinions, and guidance on how to develop and file a claim.

I am familiar with the "unspoken" VA method of claims development etc.

BUT... we are the minority. Most vets simply do NOT have the skill set required to do this. Either they lack the computer skills (or often even a computer) the knowlege on how to read a guiding regulation that often infers things rather than stating them, and they lack the ability to bring it together to form and file a comprehensive, coherent and well founded claim. Thats the facts. You are one in 100. So is everyone else on here. For every single claim that gets thru, how many do you suppose get denied because they were improperly prepared?

The fact is that you are the exception and not the rule. I wish it were different, and slowly I believe the military service men and women are becoming more ... aware I guess, at looking up and hanleing their own affairs like this, but just to be blunt. It is not a skill set that servicemembers have had up to now. Not the majority at any rate.

You have to ask yourself "what is the age group that is filing these claims?" I deal with people every day filing claims back to the 60's. Now assuming they were 18 in 1970... that makes them 55 now. How many 55 year olds do you know that are computery savvy, and can use the internet effectivly? How about 45, or even 40? I am 39 and have used computers pretty much all my life and am on Microsofts review panel for Office tools, but... I am still the exception in MY age group.

I try to go to Ft Knox once a month.. well I was, I need to start again.. and you would be amazed at the kids now who just have no clue at all. They just take what the military and the VA gives them and go on. To be honest, if the Army had given me what I thought was fair at the outset, I would probably be one of them. You have to realize that you are not the majority trunk. Now I am not meaning to beat you up, but it directly relates to a prior post of mine in the Advocacy section.

Anyway.. until I found Hadit... there was no place to ask questions and get coherent answers. So, most poeple rely on either SO's state reps, or the VA reps themselves (thats like letting the weasel count the chickens). I hope that helps you understand that while I admire you for being able to deal with your own claim, you are the exception and thousands of vets every day get tossed to the curb.

Enough preaching...

• HadIt.com Elder

6cents

I have been service connected for 35 years. Looking back at my claims file I can see examples of where the differenct VSO's I had screwed up my claims and showed their ignorance. When I filed my first claim their was no one there for us but the VSO's. I can say that they did an awful job over the years. When I hit the wall about 6 years ago I really got to work on my claim. When I could work I just accepted my rating even though I did file many appeals but I never really knew what I had to do to get a higher rating. Nothing is really different now for the young guys. They probably just want to move on with their lives and leave the military memories behind unless they are severely disabled and can't work.

• HadIt.com Elder

Okay Y'all, I figure its time to dig my spurs in and speak up. After all those 'voluntary" years of sayin' Yes Sir/No Sir, I'll make it happen Ma'am, Ma'am get the job done and dont ask no questions, see that part on that broken widget, use it for the new one " If anyone asks, just tell em the commander orders. Sure I'll back ya up." etc, etc..

Well, with all that said and done, it takes moving a mountain and years of effort to get serious medical issues recognized and even sometimes, heaven knows, resolved. By searching through medical records, trying to decipher "medical?" terminology along with some of the worst handwriting skills, I personally have "relived" parts of seriuosly difficult times and believe i have dug up old aches and pains from my"disabilities" even moreso. Namely because of the detailed work that I do trying to correctly "submit my information to the VA" in the VA format so the VA can "duly help" me get a VA disability rating. All that said and done, somehow, for the most part, I get rather warm and freindly providers at the VA itself, although I cannot say the same for the 'contracted' personnel (ie, Vocab Rehab evaluations, or other C&P examiners I have had so far)

Ok; at this time my biggest emotional concern are the young people that are disabled just now in the prime of their life, having to go through the hassle of learning the new language of the VA and paperwork to get claims processed even as the ink hasnt dried in their medical records from incurring injuries of any nature while they are still active duty military! My husband and I agree there should be some immediate way to lock in the medical condition to military service at that time.

Hangin my spurs up for today, God Bless everyone, cg

Cowgirl,

You said:

Ok; at this time my biggest emotional concern are the young people that are disabled just now in the prime of their life, having to go through the hassle of learning the new language of the VA and paperwork to get claims processed even as the ink hasnt dried in their medical records from incurring injuries of any nature while they are still active duty military! My husband and I agree there should be some immediate way to lock in the medical condition to military service at that time

I absolutely 110% agree. It avoids a huge amount of hassle to get a diagnosis "in serivce" as opposed to even within the 1st year out of service. The only way I can see to do something though is to physically visit the posts, bases, port etc. and go to the holding companies - med hold units etc. and volunteer to give a class on the behind the scenes VA. It take a whole day just to cover the basics, and you have to get the commanders approval (which I have never had refused), but you can actually effect change at the point where it will do the most good. Its just getting the time....

• HadIt.com Elder

Yup. advocating to and for active duty personnel, thier families would be nice. Makes me wonder about active duty 'service connection' procedures; then again not. No physical given before my release, just paperwork shuffle.Back to the VA, like I said least they're nice providers, makes one wonder who or why the raters are behind those locked doors? smile.cg

It doesn't matter what your diagnosed with in service, or what your symptoms are, once your records end up in the hands of the DVA. Those shredders can't read.

It's all about the money folks. Everyone should keep an up to date, "personal" medical file, DURING service & following. It's good to document fitals, labs & radiology that may be needed later.

Some enviromental health effects from occupational exposures, may not show up for dacades. Vaccines, Bio-toxins, Fuels, Radiation etc.

Allan