VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

SSD and Claim

Rate this question

Aquabear

Question

Hi,

Been a while but have been reading. I am rated and have a claim currently open. 2017 was a major change for me, I went from 20% in physical disabilities (lower spine L5-S1, L1-L4, radiculopahy lower limbs and secondary conditions) to 60% a miracle after years of denials n not following thru. PS Also 50% PTSD new as of 5/2017. 

DAV is helping me.

I went to Social Security and got my papers from SSD court and judge said I was approved for SSD due to my lower spinal injuries, spinal stenosis, tear of thecal sac and DJD and herniations in locations L5-S1 and L3-L4 and L1L2 dated November 2009 not 2013 edit.

Is this paper what I need to help me? DAV  is open tomorrow and I am going down there to show them this. 

I also told VA 800# that I was in Voc Rehab and was transferred to ILP due to my injuries flaring up going to college, they said they never knew this 2008-2009, will this also help my case?

Thank you in advance.

Edited by Aquabear
wrong date put in

Read the SSD decision carefully, but yes, it could help you.  It sounds like Social security is listing you as disabled, in part, for conditions to which you are service connected, that is, your spine.  

However, in your post it did not sound like the SSD decision mentioned PTSD.  

Unless you see a compelling reason not to, it seems to be in your best interest to send VA the SSD decision.  You can, under many circumstances, submit this SSD as new and material evidence, 38 cfr 3.156 B, if your claim is pending (that is, if you are in appeals or if your claim is pending.)  

Based on what you posted, this is great news for you,  IMHO.  You see, unless the social security decision listed you disabled for conditions to which you are NOT service connected, the VA should follow Social Security's lead.  

I copied these 2 pages from the SSD papers.

Claim is pending. 

This is only for my Physical Disabilities only, lower extremities.

(It took me years to open up about PTSD, I suffered in silence until the last 3 years.)

EDIT. In my current open claim DAV n I are hoping for PnT but put in for TDIU, VA also put in for CnP for increase of existing physical disabilities (lumbar, lower body, nerve pain).  

SSD for HADIT 2018 2.jpg

SSD for HADIT 2018.jpg

Edited by Aquabear

Social Security definately mentioned mental disorders in this.  I would advise sending this to VA as I consider it critical evidence, that may help you.  

While it did say that the psychologist said that your mental disorders did not affect your ability to work that much, later it seemed to say differently.  

Send it to VA!  Hopefully Berta may chime in.

thank you for your advice, I truly appreciate it.

Tomorrow morning I am meeting with my DAV rep and go over claim and giving this to them. Holding positive. 

Sorry to hear of your issues, and glad to see you got SSD. Any form of outside Medical Evidence will help you. Just make sure you stay very involved in your own claims. I do not like the DAV or VSOs. Good luck and keep us posted. Make sure you continue to seek treatment thru the VA. God Bless