VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Question about SOC

Rate this question

Wayne TX

Question

I submitted 5 NODs in May 2016.......got SOC back on only two so far occurring in October 2017.  My question is this unusual to get only two (2) with SOC and the rest nothing to date.   I have requested a DRO Hearing so does the fact I received these two appeals as SOC kick in a Hearing Date for all five (5) appeals?   I was also wondering if the other three (3)  Appeals after nearly four months past have not been SOC yet as the two others does that reflect as a good sign they're not sure and have not reached a conclusion yet on whether or not to send a SOC, or maybe thinking to grant same?.  Sent in the Form 9 for the two that came with a SOC.

• HadIt.com Elder

Wayne Tx

I stand corrected  sorry.

this might help you understand some what better.

Just examples:

Say

If you were appealing service connection for tinnitus (ringing in the ears) and the RO granted this on appeal at 10 percent, the RO appeals team will ONLY issue a rating decision since 10 percent is the highest rating you can receive for tinnitus. This means the appeal has been granted in full. You will not receive an SOC.

If you were appealing VA’s 10-percent rating for arthritis in your lower back because you believe you should be rated higher, but the RO appeals team disagrees and continues your 10-percent rating, you will receive ONLY an SOC.

If you were appealing VA’s 10-percent rating for arthritis in your lower back because you believe you should be rated higher, and the RO appeals team agrees and increases your rating to 20 percent, you will receive BOTH a new award decision explaining why VA increased your disability rating AND an SOC detailing how VA arrived at its decision, including why you were not entitled to a rating higher than 20 percent.

You have 60 days from the date the SOC is mailed to you to file a VA Form 9, Appeal to the Board of Veterans’ Appeals, if you wish to continue your appeal to the Board.  Any time you submit more evidence after the SOC or before the Form 9, VBA must conduct another review of the case and issue another SOC – this one called a supplemental statement of the case (SSOC) that includes the additional evidence – or a rating decision, if the additional evidence allows VBA to grant the appeal.  This must be done each time you submit new evidence after the SOC. I have seen appeals with four or five SSOCs.  Keep in mind, each time you submit new evidence it triggers a new review. It’s like starting all over again in the appeals process.  Each new SSOC can add up to 400 days to the appeal, so my best advice is, submit all available evidence to support your appeal when you file your NOD. (as this is basically what I was referring to above post I thought you submitted all of your evidence at the time to file your NOD.) But since they will review your claim  its best to have the evidence to prove your claim or help substainsuated it in your favor  and they may take a longer time on a decision but what if you never sent in your favorable evidence and was denied for lack of evidence  you wait we all wait but the wait is well worth it  when you WIN,& frustrating when your denied.

remember they go back to the date the claim was first filed and you get your $$ back to that date..None of us likes to wait  but it's better to have all your evidence submitted no matter how long it takes to Win your claim or claims  that's my point.

On the Form 9, you can request an optional hearing before a judge at the Board, who will decide your appeal.  A hearing is not required and will delay a final decision, but if you want a hearing, you can choose a video-teleconference hearing, a travel board hearing at your local RO, or an in-person hearing in Washington, D.C.

If you want a hearing, your best bet is to opt for the video-teleconference hearing, since it can be scheduled much quicker than other types of hearings.  This is because you don’t have to travel to Washington, D.C. and you don’t have to wait for a judge to travel to your RO. You still get the benefit of representation and talking to a judge face-to-face – though virtually, like on Skype or on FaceTime.

Edited by Buck52

Thanks Buck.........I am sending in two strong N&M evidence IMO's for Sleep Apnea on NOD appeal and will take my chances prior to a Hearing Date.  I have requested a VideoConference Hearing on Form 9 and still waiting to find out when my turn comes up in Waco RO so either way I will at some point in time get my evidence presented whether this N&M submission succeeds or not. I do agree with your logic......It's still worth a shot even if it may take longer........waiting is already a given and frustrating.  I'm going all in hoping for the best.  

• HadIt.com Elder

your welcome wayne

(In my opinion only) 

when a Veteran files a bunch of smaller claims (no pun intended) but several of these smaller claims clog up the system (per-say) because they have all these smaller claims that is not life threaten  and it just confuses the hell out of them. If one claim confuses them no telling what 4 or 5 other claims will do.

A Veteran should file for all his conditions at once this is correct but he needs to place importance on his major claim or worse condition so they will rate it and the smaller claims will probably take a longer time  but the main thing is get your major condition S.C. And rated first  because you will still have your EED on all your other claims as your waiting for them to be Adjudicated

this is just my way of thinking.

Makes total sense to me Buck.     I will let everyone know how this release of N & M evidence fares before ever seeing a Hearing on any of it.  It will be interesting......one is for 50% and the other 60%....they are the main focus as they collectively lay the necessary groundwork to file a claim for TDIU. 

Edited by Wayne TX
add more.....