VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

I was awarded Social Security Benefits - But the award letter shows my award is $0, WHY IS THAT??

Rate this question

chomperjones

Question

Hi, 

I have been awarded 100% P&T by the VA. 

So i applied for social security, they recently sent me a letter saying that it was approved. 

But here is where things get tricky, I first filed on 9/27/2017.

But on my award letter it only talks about 2016, it also says that my benefits were suspended in 2016... But why? at that point i hadnt even filed for ssdi.

here is a timeline of events and my award letter.

02/08/2018

A Decision Has Been Made On Your Appeal

Your claim for Disability benefits has been approved. A detailed notice has been sent to you with your benefit information.

02/01/2018

We started reviewing the decision made by the Disability Determination Service for accurate processing of your appeal.

10/03/2017

The Disability Determination Service for your state started processing the medical portion of your appeal.

10/02/2017

We started reviewing your request for an appeal.

10/02/2017

Your request for an appeal was submitted.

09/27/2017

Your online appeal was started.

=======HERE IS A COPY OF MY AWARD LETTER. CAN SOMEONE GIVE ME SOME INSIGHT AS TO WHATS GOING ON??=======

Information About Current Social Security Benefits

Beginning September 2016, the full monthly Social Security benefit before any deductions is $0.00.

We deduct $0.00 for medical insurance premiums each month.

The regular monthly Social Security payment is $0.00.
(We must round down to the whole dollar.)

Social Security benefits for a given month are paid the following month. (For example, Social Security benefits for March are paid in April.)

Your Social Security benefits are paid on or about the second Wednesday of each month.

Benefits were suspended beginning September 2016.

Type of Social Security Benefit Information

You are entitled to monthly disability benefits.

3 answers to this question

Social Security's first 6 months are paid at $0.  And they pay after the month on the first of the next month.  So, Sept 2016 would be Oct 1st 2016.  Therefore, you should get about 15-16 months retro when they pay you.  Oct, Nov and Dec 2016, all of 2017 and January 2017, and February after March 1st.

Also, Medicare starts after 24 months of SSDI, unless some deal was made, etc.

My wife got the $0 benefit letter too.  That is how they start things.

You should be good to go....

Hamslice

All the above dates could be jacked as I don't know specifics, but just generalizing..

20 hours ago, Hamslice said:

Social Security's first 6 months are paid at $0.  And they pay after the month on the first of the next month.  So, Sept 2016 would be Oct 1st 2016.  Therefore, you should get about 15-16 months retro when they pay you.  Oct, Nov and Dec 2016, all of 2017 and January 2017, and February after March 1st.

Also, Medicare starts after 24 months of SSDI, unless some deal was made, etc.

My wife got the $0 benefit letter too.  That is how they start things.

You should be good to go....

Hamslice

All the above dates could be jacked as I don't know specifics, but just generalizing..

Ok thanks so much for the details.. if nothing else its good to hear that im not the only one who received this letter.

Ill be calling social security tomorrow for more details and ill post back. Hopefully this helps anyone else who may have this same scenario.

UPDATE 1:

I called Social Security - They said that I have been approved and they told me the amount. They said the approval letter shows zero dollars because they need me to come in with my kids information and wife since they have deemed me unable to manage my own finances. Which unfortunately is true. After that, i will begin receiving payment within 6 months, just as HamSlice mentioned in the comment above. I will also be receiving back pay for nearly 2 years (I totally forgot that i started the process in 2016 but was denied and started the appeal in 2017)

I'm surprised that i was approved. i never saw a doctor and i never used a lawyer. I just wrote in, told them my symptoms, filled out their required paperwork, gave them access to my doc notes, and that was it. good luck to you all. 

Edited by chomperjones

oK So hamslice was right.

I recieved another letter today and i called SS, and both confirmed that i will be awarded full benefits. 

The reason for the delay is that they need me to come in with my wife so that they can approve her as the manager of my funds because they have decided that i am unable to do so myself. Also they need me to come in a fill out an application for my children, for which i will also be receiving benefits for. 

Thank you all. This fight is over.