VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Ask Your VA Claims Question  

Read Current Posts 

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

VSO change

Rate this question

Hardway71

Question

First off, I'm new to the forum so Hello to all.  I'll cut to the chase and say that I'm preparing myself to need a ton of advice coming up as I've been summoned to appear for ANOTHER Comp & Pen Eval for my PTSD coming up.  This is a surprise as I just had what I thought were the routine Re-evaluations call my number 19 months ago for my PTSD (70%) and a couple other SC disabilities.  Going to start off with what I hope is a simple question concerning a change of VSO though.  I initially was in the TOGUS Maine system and used the DAV there to help with my claim I filed for an increased evaluation for several deteriorating conditions (primarily PTSD) in 2009.  They were of little help, and I ended up doing most of my own research and writing.  After a long drawn out affair, I eventually won the PTSD increase in late 2012.  Meanwhile, I am now in the Syracuse, NY VA system, where I receive all my health treatment.  I am anticipating a new fight as I can not for the life of me figure out why I'm being called for another Comp and Pen so soon...it just feels foreboding.   Does anyone out there know how I would go about switching my designated VSO? Is there any VSO out there that any of you would recommend other than DAV, as I had no joy with them on my last claims experience?  Thanks for any input offered, it's most appreciated.  I wish I would have had this forum in my corner during my last go round.

The last time I was at Syracuse VAMC they had vet reps (MOPH, and DAV, maybe more ) somewhere in the hospital.

You might find a rep right there.

You need to revoke your POA with the DAV, by mail , (get proof of mailing)and also send the VARO a copy of the revocation, before you sign a POA with any other vet org.

Reason I say by mail and not by fax is I tried that years ago and DAV said they could not accept a Faxed  revocation.

This was long ago.

My DAV rep was useless. I then went wiith the NYS Div of Vets Affairs-they were worse than the DAV.

I filed a complaint with the OGC on them-it was that bad.....

Do you deal with the Buffalo VARO for your claim?

I wish I could recommend a good NY vet rep I had personal experience with- but I cant. Maybe others here can advise on that.

"They were of little help, and I ended up doing most of my own research and writing".

MOPH was still the POA of a vet friend I had ,when I wrote a claim for him, so I discussed that with his POA at the Syracuse VAMC.

He had 40% GSW at that point.

They didnt get the basis of the claim I wrote at all. Glad I helped him . He got 100% P & T,under 1151.I never even saw his medical records but after a brief conversation with him, I knew they had committed malpractice  at a local  VAMC.

The best vet rep anyone can ever have is who they see in their bathroom mirror every morning.

Great EODCMC- I didnt have a scanner when I revoked POAs in the past. It is the signature they need and a scanned signature is good.

I forgot to add -make sure the VARO knows you have revoked one POA and have  acquired a different POA.

• HadIt.com Elder

EODCMC

Few questions for you?

Did WWP treat you like a disabled veteran?  & explain the claims  process ?

Did they file all your correct forms and tell you the reasons why?

Did they charge you for any service they did for you? or and % from your awards?

Did they keep you informed of any changes during your claims process? before they actually filed.?

Are you happy with WWP & the service they provide?

Buck, I'll start with the last question first...I'm fairly happy more content. 

Did WWP treat you like a disabled veteran?  & explain the claims  process ? Yes, they refer me as alumni and offer benefits above and beyond most orgs...I think. I believe the claims process is similar to the rest. They spent a great deal of time pouring over my record, deciphering the handwriting and offering suggestions. The well known org that I went with first wouldn't even return my communications...and I was a member for 40 years. 

Did they file all your correct forms and tell you the reasons why? Yes, they filed correctly and explained their logic.

Did they charge you for any service they did for you? or and % from your awards? Absolutely free of charge

Did they keep you informed of any changes during your claims process? before they actually filed.? Yes and yes

Like any of these orgs, the more that you can help them the better the input. If you are putting everything in their hands and not willing to be involved in research and all aspects, you will be disappointed with the results. They encouraged my input, research and logic.

The biggest advantage is that they see more than I can. They can actually see when the next milestone is. There is an actual date that the VSR or rater is going to dust off your claim. This is probably why communications are sometimes spotty with the VSO. That said, I'm painting with broad strokes. It's still like being a student in a class of 100 instead of 5.

I get more info here and I use it to press my WWP rep. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease" when it's respectfully squeaky. 

Thanks for all the input so far guys!  Things are unfortunately a bit complicated for me. Have a seasonal business in Maine and that's my legal state of residence which is why I was at Togus (pcp was at satellite clinic in northern maine) to begin with. Have a house in NY and had a stroke in 2012 while there. That's how I ended up in Syracuse VA system. I like the care there better than Togus by about a million percent. I was discharged from USN in 2002 with 30% SC for PTSD, filed claim for increase in in 2009 thru Togus. I've gotten a surprise notification for this Eval I mentioned next week with some outfit called LHI up here in Maine. I have zero contact with any claims processing outlets in N.Y. so far, but that's where I go for my appointments so I'm figuring it will be easier to access my records and anything I might need there.