VA Disability Community via Hadit.com

Click To Ask Your VA Claims Question 

Click To Read Current Posts  

Read Disability Claims Articles 
View All Forums | Chats and Other Events | Donate | Blogs | New Users |  Search  | Rules 

• homepage-banner-2024-2.png

• donate-be-a-hero.png

Military Sexual Trauma Coordinators - When to use them??

Rate this question

VN-Vet

Question

The VA lists 2 Military Sexual Trauma Coordinators in every state - a male and a female.
https://www.publichealth.va.gov/exposures/coordinators.asp

I am not sure what their purpose is, I think they are suppose to guide a MST victim through the process, and keep things confidential.

But I have many questions as to their expertise, how they are trained, and if it is advisable to contact them before you get your case together, be it as it may. 

Or is part of their duty to aid and guide you in putting your case together, opening doors for so so you have access to information that is otherwise difficult to obtain??

Other words - are they worth their Salt?

Guidance please.

I've read many MST cases here and elsewhere, I can't believe the crap they have to go through to prove what happened, the degree their efforts are challenged, and how often any disability is denied. 

All I can say is, be strong, be united, and both Women and Men need to take more action, united.

6 answers to this question

I wish I had a recording of the phone call I had with the MST coordinator in our area, not only would she be fired but I would send it to every news agency I could think of..........worst and most abusive person I have ever spoken to on the phone at the VA, ever. 

I was already having issues receiving mh care and that was why I reached out to her.  I finally contacted my congressman's office because, not kidding, it took my VA almost a year to provide me with individual therapy.  The only reason I received it then, was because his office made a congressional inquiry and low and behold telehealth had been available the entire time, they just never bothered offering it to me.  I now have an amazing psychologist in Pittsburgh and I am in Florida and I then insisted they send me out via fee basis for psychiatry.  I told them I will not be seen in that clinic period.  After 11 years of using that same shitty clinic and being diagnosed with general anxiety disorder, panic disorder, nightmares (not kidding), agoraphobia, by whichever quack was making the rounds that month..........I was diagnosed with PTSD due to MST by not only my VA psychologist but also my outside psychiatrist within 2 months.  It was never about a rating but about proper diagnosis and treatment.  The Va was drugging me with benzos like crazy for years and I was getting worse and worse.   I would tell the psychiatrists and they wouldn't care, all they cared about is if I wasn't suicidal then everything was great.  By the time my husband called our congressman we had called every single psychiatrist in our city trying to get me seen and no one would see me as a cash patient.  It was a mess.  This is the ONLY specialty clinic I have ever had issues with.  I Know not all of them are like this but here, I have even talked to employees that used to use the clinic and no longer do.  It is that bad.  I am 100% PT I never cared if PTSD was on my rating or not.  I have a mh rating already. 

MST coordinators are human.  Just like in other fields, there are varying levels of quality and expertise.  

If I made a statement like "Are Navy guys honest"?...that would have similar answers...sure some are, and some are not.  

I simply suggest you utilize the MST coodinator, and evaluate this co ordinators own compentence levels for you.  

Edited by broncovet

My MST Coordinator is a trained psychologist (PhD) that is specifically trained to work with me through the therapeutic journey. 

I received CBT Training - Exposure Training - peer group referrals - yoga referral - and we touch base now once a year. 

I was initially referred and asked if I wanted a woman therapist. I am glad I trusted this man with my situation/ trauma. 

I personally did not need a female for MST - I just needed someone to empathetically listen, with therapeutic solutions.  

He did not assist with my claim in any form - VA policy. FYI 

I used the female MST rep for my area. She was kind and compassionate. And basically just helped me get the ball rolling as far as sending me the correct forms to fill it and such. My claim was decided in 89 days from date filed.